Sleeping with baby

What do you all think is a safe age where you could take a nap with baby or sleep all night? I am a really paranoid mommy, I have a breathing monitor, nothing in the crib etc. I just LOVE to snuggle with my son and often thats the only way to get him to sleep if hes cuddling in bed w/ me. But he is only 4 months, and only a couple times have I accidently fallen asleep and I felt bad after, bc I do not want to take any chances. I just love it so much. I feel so bonded and close when we take a nap together...Do you think it ever gets to be safe or not until hes a toddler?? I am such a light sleeper and do not move, and when he is in my arms sleeping he does not move either, its like so peaceful :) Just wondering whate everyone else does and what you think. I am going to just keep him in the crib as usual bc Im too scared.

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 11:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used to be a really restless sleeper; I tossed and turned all night. When I had my son, he slept with me all night in the hospital. When I nursed him, a lot of times, I would fall asleep while feeding him. We never had a problem. He's happy and healthy.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 11:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I would never take the chance I have a cradle that is right next to me I did this with my first & was in there until he was 7 months old then I put him in the crib....................One mistake can happen in 5 min you happen to lean the wrong way and suffocate him/her just don't do it
    Anonymous

• I never wanted to be a mom that slept with baby in bed, but i soon found that it worked for us. Of course it doesnt now, because she is a year old and i dont need her thinking she can fly... but I knew someone who slept on the floor with his baby and died. They do believe that he rolled on top of the baby :(
    Anonymous

• I would wait until the baby was 2. I'm a very hard sleeper, though. I have several friends who sleep with their babies and never had any problems. I would just never do it myself.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i sleep with my two month old son in the bed with me every day.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:00 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I have slept with my son in my bed every night since he was 3 days old.

If I had known better when he was born, I would have started sooner!

We have slowly been transitioning him to his own space, but I am in no hurry. When he is ready to sleep through the night on his own, he will.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 12:08 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• They have those.. protective things you can put in bed that gives them a little of a barrier.. that paired with the bed railings/guards and it should be ok.. my daughter slept in bed with me in the beginning because I was always so tired, and it made it easier to feed her when she woke up
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:08 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• We are co-sleepers and we have been doing this for a while. My son is 9 mo. now and still sleeps in between us. we do not roll and do not use covers on him. it's too hot in the summer anyways.
    When we put him in the crib he wakes up and rolls over. When he is in bed he doesn't roll onto his belly. I mean some day we will want him to be in his own crib but for now we can't train him b/c we only have one room and hubby needs sleep for work. We will probably move him to the crib in a year.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• my neighbor also sleeps next to her son and he is around the same age.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Google Dr. Jay Gordon. Then make your decision. :) You will be pleasantly surprised. We don't cosleep, but I have, and I think it was best for my baby, at that time. She is now 10 months, and we still snuggle in the early mornings.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2009