Post-partum belly binding?

I am having a scheduled c-section next week and am curious about post-partum belly binding. I have read this is a great way to minimize pain after the section, and to promote healing and a quick recovery. I am worried they will irritate the incision...
Has anyone used belly binders, and if so which ones? I read online that the Belly Bandit is a good one. Any recommendations?

MummyAmanda

Asked by MummyAmanda at 11:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Health

• I had two c-sections and never needed something like that. As long as you walk but not overdo it you will heal just fine. I had surgery on tuesday staples out the following tuesday and was good to go after that. It really doesn't take long. With the location of the incision, chances are, you are not going to want any sort of pressure in that area. You definately don't want anything rubbing or you could end up with an infection which happened my first time. It was very painful and took a long time to go away. Discuss with your doc he may recommend using one.
    fuelsgirl2

Answer by fuelsgirl2 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• When I had my son, I had a binder placed on me in the OR. You can get them at Motherhood maternity if you want to buy one. You could also see if the OB doc will supply one so it can be applied in a sterile environment. It was a total godsend for me. It held everything in place. Usually there is an ABD pad (dressing) covering the incision so nothing is going to be rubbing against it. I have a history of c-section wounds having to be reopened and this abdominal binder was the BEST thing I ever had. I was able to get up and out of bed without straining my incision. I could move around. It was amazing compared to my previous c-sections. I did not even have that much pain. I was able to cough or use the bathroom without problems. I HIGHLY recommend one. Did I mention how great it was? I've had 5 adbominal surgeries and the binder made all the difference for me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:44 AM on Jul. 30, 2009