Do you feel that your 2nd baby didn't get the attention as the first?

Maybe I'm just emotional but my parents bought my 1st son the bedroom set, I had a shower & they hardly ask me about this one is kinda of sad, I just don't want my 2nd to feelĀ  not special

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• So far, I haven't run into this.. but we have the bassinet left over from our first daughter (she'll be 18 mos) and she should be into her toddler bed by time the new one needs the crib.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I am actually hoping it continues with me! My inlaws were OBSESSED with my son when he was first born, and during the pregnancy. This time they barely mention it, other than my MIL asking me 2x already if "they" have given me a due date yet. I don't know why she seems to think you don't get a due date until later in pregnancy, but I have told her I'm due Feb. 23 several times! I just hope this continues and they don't swarm us after this ones birth. They came to the hospital everyday I was there (fri,sat, sun) and stayed a minimum of 2 hours each time after I specifically said visits should be no more than 30 minutes. My son is their only grandchild so they were very overwhelming, but I finally laid down the law and they have backed off. Hope it continues...
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• They probably figured you already had a bedroom set and everything else you needed so they didn't get you anything else.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My second baby didn't get half as much attention as my first. Especially with the grandparents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• well, im currently ttc for baby #2, and my mom and my mil always ask whats goin on bc they are so excited. i have 3 nieces on my side, and my parents are really good about giving them all individual time, and are excited about all of them in different ways. if i have a boy next, im sure he will get lots of attention bc there are no grandsons on EITHER side.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:39 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Unfortunately... yes, I feel my 1st child got more attention. I wasn't able to dote on my 2nd child because I had my 1st child to care for also. Not that it's a bad thing... I still got lots of 1-on-1with her, but every moment is MORE special because you realize exactly how precious it is and tend to make sure it's more QUALITY vs quantity. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• No , for me too , I can't think of that I make diff to my kids , actually I never thought of it , and no one ever mentioned to me this , so I suppose I am doing ok . ??
    Cathybee

Answer by Cathybee at 5:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• see i'm afraid to have a 2nd baby cause i'm afraid i won't have enough time or love for both of them, i never even thought about the rest of the family
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 8:08 AM on Jul. 30, 2009