How old were your kids when they stopped taking naps?

If my 4 year old takes a nap, then she can't fall asleep until way late at night. If she doesn't take a nap, she's bugging me to go to bed around dinnertime. Neither of these scenarios work very well for me. What should I do?

ginger813

Asked by ginger813 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• How long of naps is she taking during the day? I would just try giving her 30 minute naps and see how that works. My son napped until he was 5 and he took long naps but still fell asleep at a decent hour during the night.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son gave up naps at 2 1/2. He was not going to sleep until very late. We cut out his nap and put him to bed at 7:30 he got up between 7-7:30am. It was an adjustment the first few days but he was less cranky getting 12 hours solid sleep. Maybe start by shortening her nap and then phase in the new bedtime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• my son was done with naps at 20 months. He is almost 5 now and ever since he has slept 12 hours. So whatever time he goes to sleep he will be up 12 hours later so I try not to Have him up late.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:39 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• my daughter was done with naps when she was a little over a year old. my son will still take naps he is 4 but he wont all the time.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 8:56 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My oldest started refusing naps at 2. If we laid her down she would just sit in bed until we told her she could get up but she wouldn't sleep. My son stopped when he was about 4 1/2. My middle daughter is 6 1/2 and still takes naps a few times a week. I usually have to tell her but she will go to her room and lie down when she is tired. My youngest is 3 and only takes them if we force her. Bedtime is still 8pm (was 7pm last year) during the school year and 10pm in the summer no matter if they took a nap or not. They are usually up at 6am no matter when they went to bed so they are always cranky it seems.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:08 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• All of mine stopped between 1 1/2- 2 years old, it's hard at first and does require an earlier bed time, but I have come to love having my evening's "to myself", I quoted it cause once they hit about 4-5 they quit going to sleep at 7 and are now going to sleep around 9.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:30 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Shorter or earlier naptimes. My son stopped napping at 2 years old, though he took naps on occasion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 30, 2009