Why do we laugh?

I was just outside and heard such a beautiful laugh, I don't know what house it was comig from. Then a couple of other people were laughing so hard that I even started giggling to myself. What physically makes us burst out with this noise, some ppl have great laughs and others laugh...well not so great? I laugh at anything that is silly but if it is REALLY funny, I actually start to snort like a pig.

Mamasita98

Asked by Mamasita98 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Endorphins.
    I think laughing is contagious, too, if a person's heart is open to it.
    I love to laugh and I love to hear people laugh - not mean and spiteful laughs, but true and enjoyable laughs. Makes my heart happy. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:32 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i have no idea... but i know what you mean about the not so pretty laughs. when i laugh when i'm drunk (which is not that often) i dont know what it really sounds like but it feels very awkward
    jmetz4

Answer by jmetz4 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I have a cackling laugh followed with a snort...lol!! I used to be embarrassed but I don't care anymore. I have even gotten people to laugh at my laugh which makes me laugh more and they have to walk away laughing so they can stop laughing at me....lol. What can you do!!?
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I don't have a cute or pretty laugh, but I love to laugh so I continue to do so.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:28 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Some scientists think we laugh as an old hangover from times when we were hunter/gatherers. We would laugh when danger was over to signal that all was ok again. Have you ever notice you laugh when others laugh or when something surprises you? Most jokes have a "surprise" ending :)
    I absolutely hate my giggle- I think I sound like a hyena, but my DH loves to make me laugh to hear it lol..
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:30 AM on Jul. 30, 2009