Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm 27 and I have gout.

I was in some INTENSE pain this weekend and it was confirmed once I got treated in the emergency room. I feel embarrassed for some reason but I also feel inspired. I have to change my diet and watch what I eat and who would benefit from that? Me and my family of course! Reading about it, it states that it is rare for children and young adults to get it. Do any of you have flare ups?

Answer Question

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Health

Level 4 (32 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • what is gout?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

  • The pain of gout (called attacks or flares) is caused by inflammation when needle-like crystals are deposited in connective tissue and/or in the fluid that cushions a joint (the synovial fluid). These crystals are made up of uric acid, a substance produced when the body breaks down purines found in human tissue and many foods we eat. Most uric acid is carried through the bloodstream to the kidneys, which eliminate it from the body in the urine. However, if the body produces too much uric acid or if the kidneys don't eliminate enough of it, uric acid can build up in the blood. This condition is called hyperuricemia and can lead to gout attacks in some cases. However, in most cases, hyperuricemia does not lead to gout.

    Answer by His_Mommy26 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

  • thats what i wanted to ask

    Answer by fay101 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

  • Gout is a common form of arthritis. Gout is caused by a build-up of a waste product, uric acid, in the bloodstream.

    Uric acid is one of the body’s waste products. Normally it is dissolved in the bloodstream, filtered out by the kidneys and excreted in urine. However a build-up of uric acid may settle in the joints in the form of crystals, causing inflammation and pain. This is called gout.

    Answer by fay101 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

  • My hubby has gout and has had it since he was around 25, 26 or so. He occasionally gets attacks, he's on a daily Rx for it to prevent attacks, allopurinol. I feel so bad for him, he gets his in his little toe and it hurts so bad he can't have anything on his toe. No socks, even the wind from a fan is painful. He has an Rx anti-inflamitory, but it causes diarreah, so it's really not that much help at all. He hasn't (knock on wood) had a flare-up for a long time. Good luck with it, I know it's very painful when it flares up, so I hope your dietary changes keep you from having an attack.

    Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:57 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.