what signs to look for if baby falls....

she didnt cry and is alert eating smilin laughing etc. it was less than a foot fall... still it scared the crap out of me. i know every child is going to have a fall at some point in time, but what signs should i keep an eye out for.??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure if she hit her head on something that the place is coming out, not in. Watch her pupils for even dilation. If they seem uneven, take her to the ER. It sounds like a pretty short fall though, so she'll probably be fine. If she's happy and eating, those are really good signs.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 12:30 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• the temples are the scary zone mostly
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• keep her awake for a while, she is fine I am sure, The temples are the area you do not want to hit or the back of the head.mostly above the ears though.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:36 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• put an icepack on it and relax mine fell at that age too jumping off a chair about 4 feet nose diving, he is fine. my daughter used to tumble down 8 steps too, lol she is great too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• babyproof
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Also watch 4 vomiting.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 12:40 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You want to look for signs of confusions or repeated vomiting within 24 hours of the fall. My son fell on the tile and he cried and then was fine happy and eating then we put him to bed and he woke up vomiting for hours and hours and his ped had me take him to the er. In the end he was fine and just by coincidence he got the stomach flu the same time he fell. But the head of peds at the er said that he would have brought his kids in if they were doing the same as my son. Kids are pretty tough but never feel bad about calling your ped no matter what time it is that is why they are there.

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• After a fall, if your child can follow things with their eyes really well, get them to follow your finger or something shiny. As a PP said, watch for even dilation of the eyes, bumps on the fall zone. If a fever hits, uncontrollable crying, eye dilation changes, doesn't follow objects well, seems dizzy (especially noticeable if child can crawl, walk or sit up on their own), and or vomiting, go to the ER. Your child is still laughing and eating, that is a good sign that your child will be okay. My son had a very scary fall sitting on the couch with my husband one day and my husband wasn't able to catch him fast enough (our son is very agile and very fast). He cried for a few minutes and within minutes was back to playing safely on the floor or in his stroller if its snack time! He was perfectly fine after that. It happens, your a mom your going to worry but remember, it happens to even the most protective moms. Cont'd.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 12:55 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Cont'd. Remember to watch for these signs and everything will be fine. Babies are very resilient, and they bounce back quickly from these kinds of things. Give you baby a little credit, and remember that their bones are still very soft so they heal quicker. Don't worry yourself to death and make yourself think you're a bad parent for a one time accident. Just be a bit more careful so that it doesn't happen again.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 12:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yes it's deffinately going to happen, it happened to my child as well while putting him in his crib, he just gave me a pissed off look like what was that for. However I'm a crazy mom that calls the doctor. He said as long as there isn't any visible sign of swelling then there shouldn't be any shaken baby syndrome. Check his arms and legs etc. Make sure he's acting fine and check on him every 4 hours to make sure everything is still normal ith smiling and playing and interactions s well as feeding. But the baby should be fine! Mine was, but yeah i understand that it scared the shit clean outta you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2009