From that other question about quoting verses

Someone made this point:
"when someone quotes something they should write something before & after it so that others know their spin on it. so many verses mean different things to different ppl & have different meanings in different situations. it also keeps ppl from assuming..."

Which brings up another question for me. Very often I hear the argument made that someone is using a verse out of context (specifically the ones about who can and cannot judge whom, but not only those). Aren't all scripture quotes out of context? You can list the chapter and verse, but you have no idea how the verses before and after are written in the bible of choice owned by the reader. If you are making your point with a verse, and still have to write an explanation to provide context, why use the verse at all?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree :-) People should always explain where they are coming from and why they're using the verse they're using.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• yea i am not doing that much work---i will give you the book, chapter and verse take the info and go the bible gateway. After all that is what we do in school. We give enough info for the reader to look up the facts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• We give enough info for the reader to look up the facts.

That's just it though - there are no "facts" because every translation is subjective.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:39 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• This is why Sacred tradition is so important. We've already been given the answers straight from Christ and his Apostles. Paul even warns against only using what is written to remember what is taught. They taught us before the Written word. the written word does reiterate what was taught. But as some has done can also be used to spread false teachings. Or incomplete teachings.There many who have a wonderful Love of Christ and Our Father, I pray everyday that at some time they will see the whole picture,

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• not really, np. using words or phrases 'in context' means it/they pertain to the whole subject of what is written or said. its pretty black and white..when you know the content. if one only quotes a single verse of scripture, who's to know (without looking up the rest, before or after) exactly what the writer is referring to? some people offer this info out of courtesy...also, a lot of biblical books were written to certain groups/churches/persons because of certain issues that were going on. if one doesn't do the research..read the entire chapter or at least have knowledge of that 'current' issue, one who isn't privy wouldn't be able to 'biblically' use a verse/scripture. now, when one chooses to use verses for other reasons, personal or otherwise, that's where the subjectivity comes into play, and personal meanings can overridde the original intent.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:29 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I do agree. When I'm studying something,and I see just one verse used, I will go,and read the few before,and after it,and that makes that one verse make so much more sense. I learned to do that right after I was saved. We started a Beth Moore study,and that's what the lady teaching the class taught me to do. I love that way,and so far, I've not had any problems understanding a verse.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I suppose this is one of the reasons why I don't like to quote verse rather than paraphrase the meaning behind it as it applies to a situation. After all, the bible has been translated many many many times by many many many people with their own agendas behind the translations, so using literal text as a quote is discounting the translator's "take" on the text and it's meaning. However, phrasing it such that it's meaning is clear within the context of YOUR life gives the Bible greater value than a verbatim scripture verse that may mean something to different (or nothing) to another person who hasn't internalized the same truths or relationship within the Bible that transcend translations. Offering verse as a reflection of your relationship with God and your experience of how that verse has helped you would, IMO, have more impact than a factual straight from the Book quote that may not impact another as it has you.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Also, just as a side note, context isn't always limited to the before and after text, but related to multiple texts throughout the entire Bible. That's why there are Scripture Scholars to help those of us less inclined to see the big picture from the individual texts gain a better understanding of the bigger picture and not getting stuck on the individual verses.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• hehe that was me! i actually took that from an English professor i had. when we wrote our papers she didnt want to see any quotes without something before & after to let the reader know the point of the quote. basically, why the quote is important enough to use it. it was to keep us from using a ton of quotes & none of our own original thoughts.

i dont like to use Bible verses unless im giving it to someone who believes in the Bible...other wise its a little pointless...like someone quoting the Qu'ran to me. there are some Bible verses i use but refrain from telling ppl they are Bible verses b/c they are received better that way...like a quote from Ghandi or Ben Franklin.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• That's just it though - there are no "facts" because every translation is subjective.

Actually MY POINT is you can look up the verse and the before and after. I you are given the book, chapter and verse you have enough information to look up the facts which in THIS CASE would be the words before and after the verse you being quoted.
    Anonymous