Is it too soon to go back to work, if i don't have to work?

My child is 4 1/2 months old and I think i want to go back to work. The only problem is that my husband is a coal miner and I have no one in my family to take care of him so i am still trying to find a babysitter. My husband tells me over and over again that my job is to take care of our child and i don't need to work, but I don't feel rite my husband and i have been married about a year and 3 months, Prior to getting married i worked 2 jobs at most points in my life (since i was 18 I am 25 now ) just to make ends meet and so i wouldn't lose my house. Prior to my marriage i was a state tested nurses aide and my certification will expire in october of this year if i don't work at least an 8 hr day as an STNA. With my husbands job I am scared that something might happen to him leaving me to take care of my child alone and don't want to lose the certificationbecause jobs around here are few and far between. I need some advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• It sounds like you have a great skill and are a gifted caretaker. Get a part time job; you will be much happier

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If you want to work, then work. There is nothing wrong with a mother working if that's what you feel you are called to do.

Go for it!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• "My husband tells me over and over again that my job is to take care of our child and i don't need to work"

Quoted

Excuse me, but does your husband realize we are living in America and it's 2009... not 1956?

I'd tell him to fly a kite... but that's just my opinion.    Did he not have anything to do with the conception of the child???

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I am scared that something might happen to him leaving me to take care of my child alone and don't want to lose the certificationbecause jobs around here are few and far between.

Ok, I am lost with the "I am scared that something might happen to him and leaving me to take care of my child alone". #1, get life insurance, #2, get paycheck insurance, #3, never depend on a man, EVER.

"don't want to lose the certification" Since you'll be a stay-at-home-mom, throw that job out the window and go to school for a higher degree.

Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Have you thought about working from home?

I am a stay at home mom of a 4 1/2 year old, 2 1/1 year old and 16 month old. About a 7 months ago, I really wanted to be able to stay home with my kids and not have to worry about childcare or getting a 9-5 job.  I finally found a way to be home with my family. Partnered with a legitimate company, my family continues to be blessed, and I want to help other moms stay home too!! 

Request more info. At www.freedomunitedteam.com/am7677

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Angela
    Amanzi

Answer by Amanzi at 7:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• One other thing, your child will need you around much more in junior high and high school, than right now.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If you want to work, go work. See what options you can find for day care. Interview and ask them if they have recommendations or if they partner with any day cares for discounts. I'd do what you can to keep that certification. It sounds like you put a lot of work into it and should keep it. And I agree withother poster. Make sure you guys have insurance, but my dad tought me to never depend on a man. Always be able to support yourself if you need to because you never know what will happen in life.
    Anonymous

• You need to work! Do not lose your certification! You are worth more then what you are giving yourself credit for. Do not depend on a man for anything. You can do it.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Have you thought about starting your own home business? I have 5 children and I had the same fear...what if my hubby ever left me with 5 children to support?? So I started a home business, that gives me health benefits that covers my family and a 401K. That we we are all covered. It does pay well and I can support the kids of need be. Here is an overview call of my company 616-712-1741. Give a listen and if interested, shoot me a message and I will answer any questions you have.
    Reaching100K

Answer by Reaching100K at 5:20 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• me personally think thats too early but thats jus me. plus i breastfed my daughter for a yr and thats time consuming so i just stayed home with her...im like over protected.. my daughter is two years old and i have another on the way.. i still dont have anyone watch her.. i work when my fiance gets home.. and i also work from home.. the BEST thing if u ahve kids especially bc u make ur own hours and still get to spend quality time with ur child while making money:) ya know!!! if ya wanna know more about working from home leave me a message and ill tall ya about it
    brae1542

Answer by brae1542 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 31, 2009