Am I loving my daughter

I have a beautiful 6 yr. old funny, talkative, dancing, singing daughter. Her Father left when she was 3mos old and has only seen her twice since then. He does not pay child support on a regular basis and I am limited in findinding someone who will watch her while I work, over time is out of the question. and money is tight. We go everywhere together. I do not get a break from her. The only time we are not together is when I am at work and she is at school( which is at the same time). I catch myself snapping at her, I try to go into my room for some me time,but 10 mins later here she comes. I don't know what to do.I love her, and at the same time I feel so trapped. What do I do ?

Linda7521

Asked by Linda7521 at 3:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is there anyway you could have some "me" time after you put her to bed? Even if it's just 30 minutes earlier than you go to bed maybe that would help? What about finding another mom and twice/week you exchange kids, i.e. on monday evening after dinner for an hour she watches your child and on thursday evening after dinner for an hour you watch hers?
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 3:54 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i think the 1st response is a good idea.but look at it this way she loves you so much n wants to be you now.i say enjoy it cuz when your old and shes grown you might miss it.and i think your a really good mom because a lot of women would treat there kids like shit.hope everything works out.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 4:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• When we started to feel a bit overwhelmed, we started an earlier bedtime 7pm! It helped with the kids too- since the got a bit more sleep it wasn't hurting them.

Also, when I feel like a break or whatever, I make them play in their rooms. That way, they're seperated (although doesn't seem like that's your problem) but I know that they have things in there to do. Most of the time, it's because they're fighting but once they know it's room time, they find something to do.

Another thing might be to contact your local Social Services Agency. They should have information on a group that gets together- sorta like a mommy and me but for older kids. Or your school might have some information. A local Y program usually does free/reduced programs for families in need. Social Services might be able to help you with that too.
    gigs5liz

Answer by gigs5liz at 8:47 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I had the same thing with my son when his dad was truck driving. I had sat him down and explained that mommy needs some quiet time and that I needed him to go play in his room for a little bit, just enough time to take a breather so I can be a better mommy. Tell her that if she did that you would less likely to snap at her. It worked for me hopefully it will for you. Also, ask another mom that you are friends with to maybe watch her for just a little bit as mentioned earlier.
    momof1boy

Answer by momof1boy at 11:22 AM on Jul. 30, 2009