Switching from breastfeeding to a bottle, I need help with the transition.

My daughter is a little over 7 months and is starting to get her two bottom baby teeth and I can no longer handle breastfeeding. She has only been breastfed, we have tried about7 different bottles and she wont take any. We thought that maybe it was the taste of the formula that was the problem. We ended up giving her some formula from a spoon and she took it just fine so we know that the taste is not the problem. I am not sure exactly what I can do to make it easier for her to switch. I have tried to look up different things on the internet and everyones stories are about children that are much younger than my daugher. I would really appreciate anyones help.

Isabelle_121608

Asked by Isabelle_121608 at 5:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't understand what her bottom teeth have to do with breastfeeding? Or is she biting? If so you can teach her breastfeeding manners and you'd be fine. I don't no about the bottle I never bottle feed my dd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• When my dd started getting teeth she did bite me once...I gave her a little tap on the nose and laid her back down in her crib for what must have seemed forever to her...probably three minutes, lol she never did it again.
    But if you want to change over you can try what we did with my ds, when he was ten months I had to wean him off the breast due to some surgery of mine. He'd never even had a bottle of water or anything before that. Worried that he might not take the bottle from me, we actually skipped a feeding so he was a bit extra hungry, I went to a neighbors house and my ex gave him the bottle. lol It was like he had a new best friend, it took him 5 minutes to eat instead of the usual 15-20 minutes of nursing. I was miserable for about a week or so til my milk stopped coming in so hard, he just wasn't interested in it anymore.
    Good luck
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:03 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Teeth should have nothing to do with breastfeeding. What is the behavior that you are having a problem with? I can guarantee it will be easier not to mention a million times better for both of you to correct whatever problem you are encountering and continue breastfeeding. Of course she wants nothing to do with a bottle, the breast offers so much more. Let us help you try and continue! You only have a few more months and have done such a great job so far!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If it's really that much of an issue I personally (this is just me, not trying to hassle you) would just stick it out for 3 more months. You could try giving it in a sippy cup though, one less thing to wean baby from.

Is baby biting you or something?

sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son was a biter too. I suggest getting ONE type of bottle/nipple. Playtex had some that were very similar to the breast. Just stick with one bottle type until she "figures it out". It shouldn't take more than a day or too.

Also.. have fun weeding through all the " breast feeding vs bottle feeding debate" answers. hehe
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 8:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Breastfeeding for any lenght of time is a wonderful thing to do. i did with my boys until they weaned themselves, except for my second son who has Down Syndrome and cound not get the latching on part down. I had to punp 8x a day, but onlydid for the first 6 months. I used Avent bottles to feed him with. They are similar to breast nipples and worked quite well. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Can't you pump? If not, well, I can't really either -- I never get more than an ounce and a half out but can still hand-express a ton (which is annoying as heck to try to do).

Biting ? Can't blame you for stopping if she won't quit.. apparently my DH bit the heck out of his mother and thought it was funny that she'd yell / swat etc. - then he took a huge chunk out of her nipple and laughed so stopped BF'ing him...

You could try sippy cups.. Get different ones and see which ones she likes and can swallow ok. I was EBF but this was when they recommended a bottle of water a day -- my mom gave us sippy cups at 2 1/2 months because we HATED the bottles and rejected them. We grew to really like the sippy cups and never had a bottle after that.

She may dislike the bottles for a variety of reasons.. but sippy cups are SO different than the breast that it wouldn't surprise me if she accepted it much better.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• When I switched over I had my Hubby give my kids the first bottle... kids took it much better from him!! Try soaking the nipples over night in the fridge in some breast milk.... I heard that helps. I used to playtex nips too, and didn't have any problems.

The Sippy cup option is also a great altunative. I had freinds that did that and it worked out great fo them!!

And remember... it's your baby, your body....if it's not good for you it's OK to switch to formula!!! You went 7 months.... better then some. NOTHING wrong with making that switch if that's what feels right to YOU!!!! ;o)
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• A lot f breastfed babies will not take a bottle. Neither one of my kids ever did. My son went straight from breast to a cup. DD is still trying to figure out the cup, but she isn't a fan of it. She'd much rather get it on tap! LOL! You can try a cup, which would also prevent you from having to eventually wean from a bottle. May i ask what the behavior is that is making you want to quit nursing?
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 1:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2009