how long should it be part of the American dream?

a spin off from yesterday.
why is it important to your family to provide a better lifestyle for your kids today than what you had growing up?
i can understand in the 1800's, early 1900's, a family wanting to provide a better life for their kids-but in 2009? don't we already have it pretty good, should we stop the continuation of providing better for our kids each generation?
when do our kids get to live with what we parents had?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 6:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I see what your saying and I agree to an extent. I want better for my daughter b/c I want her to have stability, healthier food, and extracurricular activities. I didnt have those things growing up. Id dont want her to struggle in life either. With that being said, I do not want to hand her everything either. I want her to experience not getting what she wants. I raise her to be realistic. Just because JoeBlow has the new game system doesnt mean she will. I will not play keepin up with the Joneses. Life is not fair and she will know that. I think too many kids are given a golden spoon and its ridiculous. The little shits growing thinking they are entitled to certain things. A lot of tehm are greed, selfish, and rude. I would rather my daughter go without the best name brand shoes than turn out like some of these kids.
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I'm of the mindset that "when you stop, you die." So, there is ALWAYS room for improvement...and one should never rest on their laurels--especially the laurels of someone else!!!

My children are LUCKY they get to live off of my husband's and mine's successes....if they want to continue to live in the lifestyle they've grown accustomed to, they need to work just as hard (and due to the spending sprees on behalf of the Obama Administration) will have to work a hundred times harder than we did!!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:56 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Figures! you just can't help yourself can you Lorikeet? no matter the question or the direction its in you have got to bring up your hatefulness of Obama and his administration. OP, the way I see it is my kids have way more then I ever did, but my husbands family actually live a life that was no where near the one my husband and I are living now and their the ones wanting us to live up to their standards. Sorry, but I am pretty content with what they do have and yes I will make it better, but it will never be the way they live.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:02 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I definitely want things formy kids that i didnt and dont have. we live paycheck to paycheck. we struggle with deciding do we eat this week or pay the rent. Do i buy my dds meds or pay the power bill this week? how will i buy school supplies and clothes? etc so yeah i want more than that for my kids. I dont want them to worry so much about that kind of stuff. SO i dont think you ever stop wanting more for your kids. ITs the way of being parents. And just because some people have it better than their parents had it doesnt mean every one does so that will never not be a part of the american dream!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i kinda agree here, the timespans included the last 200 years. obama is irrelevant. and the question is more of a personal family issue without regards to what the government situation will be now or in the future.
    as much as i disagree with governmental situations right now, I am ultimately responsible for my situations and my family's wellbeing. As much as depending on the government is a problem blaming the government for things that may never happen 20 years from now is too.
    you gotta get over the fear of what may never be.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Figures! you just can't help yourself can you Lorikeet? no matter the question or the direction its in you have got to bring up your hatefulness of Obama and his administration.

***
    You got it!!! And I have no intentions of stopping! Does it bother you? Oh well! Last I checked I was still allowed to express myself freely--and I have no problem owning whatever I say--because I am not wrong! Obama IS destroying this country whether you choose to accept it or not!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:40 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• so that's it?
    my interesting post got derailed because someone wanted to be right again?
    i could never figure out if people who live alone are right all the time because they have nobody to dispute them OR do they live alone because nobody wants to be around them.
    nobody wants to be around a person who insists on being right all the time.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:48 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• please note i said
    " wants to be right all the time"
    not
    " IS right all the time"
    ones own mind is a small place to live
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:49 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Unless we get Obama out of office your kids future will be that of Europes. Thats not a very good future.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:57 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Not just Obama though roughly 75% of congress need to go as well.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2009