My 8 1/2 month still won't sleep thru the night any suggestions.

kdemasi1108

Asked by kdemasi1108 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wait until the baby is ready to sleep through the night before you expect him to do so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Could you give us some more info? ... like what time does baby get up in the middle of the night? What is it for (i.e. bottle, diaper change, cuddling)? Is baby taking too many naps during the day?
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• an 8 mo old should be more than ready to sleep through the night. If he is waking for a bottle then you need to slowly change that by giving less or changing to water in the night. Other wise you need to leave him alone and let him go back to sleep. My LO wakes at about 3 hours after she goes down for a few hugs and kisses and then back to bed. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son refused to sleep through the night until his little sister was born and he was 11 months old. I just waited for him to be ready. I made sure he had a diaper change and bottle right before he fell asleep. All of a sudden, he slept through the night. Now only a year and a month,I put him in his crib at bedtime and he falls asleep on his own. I am a big believer in just waiting till they are ready. There are a lot of suggestions on when babies should do things but when it comes to this type of stuff (including potty training), I let them do it when they are ready. Every baby is different. My youngest is 3 months and she has slept through the night since she was 1 week old. Try to not let your little one take a nap after 3:30 p.m. If you don't have a schedule for them, that can also have an effect.
    pageantgirl3

Answer by pageantgirl3 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• He takes a nap at 9am for bout a half an hour to 45 mins. Then another nap at 1 for an hour and thats it. Not sure if its cause he's teething. But I follow a routine. He gets a bath at 7, clean diaper, read book, 8oz bottle. But it depends on the night, he will wake up 6 times just to cuddle, have a bottle. And some nights he only wakes up 2 times. Its just hard would like to try the CIO method but we live with my father in law and his partner.
    kdemasi1108

Answer by kdemasi1108 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Well, it seems like I was constantly told that " my baby slept through the night at 6 weeks old or 3 months old etc " My son did NOT like to sleep. He also had colic though which made him unable to learn to self sooth - so at 8 months old I had to use the Cry it out method because he HAD to learn to sleep on his own - he was waking every 30 minutes for days in a row and if i didn't do something extereme and right NOW, it woudl affect his development. I don't care how much some people bash CIO - some kids NEED it - even now at 20 months old, if I go in there when he's crying ( which he still does every night ) it will make him falling asleep take 3 to 4 times longer. he's sick now and I tried to go in and comfort him and it took 4 hours for him to go to sleep and I left his room after 3 hours of trying so he cried another hour after I left. ugh.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2009