Is a child too young to take echinacea?

What age do you think that it is ok.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Health

• Be vary cautious when giving anything Herbal to a child. They are not regulated by the FDA. I know of a study that found the concentraion of active ingredient varied by over 50% per tablet in one bottle. Plus, they have found some natural products contain high levels of lead.
    Is there a medical condition you are trying to treat?
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 8:55 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Never unless advised by a doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would ask the doctor first, childrens systems are very delicate, have to be very careful!
    sakeenah35

Answer by sakeenah35 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Most doctors are going to tell you that herbals don't work on anybody. We used elderberry instead of echinacea. You can get it in either a tea or liquid form that is made for kids.
    It also depends on the age of the child as well, I don't think I'd give it to one under say 2. Ours are 3 & 4, plus we do homeopathic remedies as well.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You can start after your child turns 2. Do not give to your child more than three weeks on, one week off; we do two weeks on and one week off.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009