Am I going about this the right way?

I put my 2yo son in a twin bed a week ago because he was trying to get out of the crib. We have a fun bedtime routine where we read books and when he was in his crib after we read "Goodnight Moon" he would just fall asleep no fuss. He fell asleep easily for the first three nights of the twin bed but on the fourth he threw the biggest fit I've ever seen! He was screaming like he was posessed or something! I'd never seen him do that so I called my mom and she said that when she babysat him that day he had a bad nightmare and woke up crying like that, so I should lay with him until he fell asleep. So I lay with him that night. He threw fits for the next 3 nights. So I've had to lay with him until he falls asleep, and when I'm there it takes him until about 12:00. I dont think its healthy for him to have to have me there, but I don't want to leave him if hes really scared not just spoiled. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Be consistent. My son always had the same problem, actually he still does. We let him go to sleep with the light on and then turn it off later. If you aren't doing that, maybe try that. Good luck!
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 9:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I had a similair problem and after trying several things, I ended up just putting a baby gate up and letting my daughter cry it out. The longer I stayed with her, the worse it got because if she woke int he middle of the night, she expected me to be there and of course I wasn't. After a week with the baby gate up so she had to at least stay in her room, she was back to her normal routine. Each kid is different though. So you could try sitting with him for a few days rahter than laying. Then sit next to the bed for a few days, then in the doorway, until you are able to just walk out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think anon gave you a great answer.
    Also, keep in mind that babies and toddlers are creatures of habit. They don't like change. It's quite possible that changing beds is the root of the problem. Give him some time to get used to things and he should settle down. Best of luck.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 9:51 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• keep doing it if thats what u feel u need to do
    lagurl

Answer by lagurl at 4:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I never really had this problem. There were a few time I had to let my daughter lay in my bed to get her to sleep( We share a room since I still live at home with my parents). Once she's a sleep I put her in her bed and she stays there the whole night.

I don't see anything wrong with laying with your child until they fall asleep. My mother did that with my 3 brothers & I and we turned out fine. I would say keep doing with your doing. Maybe that the way your son likes to bond with you. And that's not greater and the mother and child bonding whether it's during the day or night
    TiphaniMommy

Answer by TiphaniMommy at 6:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2009