Trying to Start A Local Support Group ... I don't know where to start... Any ideas? Please.

My son is almost 9 and has Asperger's...my weekday schedule is very tight so I don't have time for the typical support groups, plus the one I have in mind is a little different.

My son attends a special needs summer camp and loves it, because everyone sees the world as he does, so my thought is to start a group where the kids can get together and work on social skills while the parents can discuss their issues and get support.

How do I go about starting? How do I find parents/kids? Where can I hold these come winter (my house is too small)?

Please no bashing...if you don't "believe" in autism ... then please just move on.

KaylasMiracle

Asked by KaylasMiracle at 9:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you have a local community center or somewhere you could put fliers or a something on a bulletin board? Also you could ask your pediatrician's office if they would allow you to put fliers or something up there. Craigslist might be a good place too... Good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I'm sorry; I really have no advice. My son has an extreme case of ADHD and ODD, and they are now considering bipolar disorder. Where I live, there are no support groups at all, and I don't know where to start either. I wish you the best of luck getting it going though. It sounds like you are onto something with the kids together while the parents are talking. I think that is a great idea. Good luck!
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 9:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Thanks! All he talks about all year is going back to camp, so I'd like to set up something year round where he feels like he "fits" . I think its important to encourage a feeling of belonging.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 9:31 AM on Jul. 30, 2009