Is it acceptable to ask a church preschool to not teach religion to my child?

I recently moved, and I am thinking I would like my daughter to attend preschool close to home. The problem is, the only preschool close is a church preschool. Although it is a great school, it is not the same religion as me or my families. I would like my daughter to grow up with the same values as my family. I am fine with them teaching her basic bible stories, but beyond that, I would like to atleast know the lesson before hand, and then have the option for her to not participate. Any advice?

bamatamimom

Asked by bamatamimom at 9:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Find another preschool. Seriously. They are well within their rights to teach whatever they want as far as the Bible. That is part of why they opened their own preschool. So that they can teach what they believe. Chances are they are only going to teach basic Bible stories because that is about the most that toddlers can grasp but if you're concerned that they might contaminant your child with their teaching then it's obviously not a good school for you. They should not have to clear their lesson ahead of time with you or any other parent.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I don't think you can do that. That would defeat the very purpose of their having their own school. I think that you should just look for a school that more closely lines up with what you believe.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:02 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I agree. I would assume that if the preschool is run by the church they will be teaching religion. Now, if it's one that is just run IN the church and not BY the church, that's different. But honestly I wouldn't risk it. Personally I don't see a need for Pre-School. Keep her home and teach her, she will learn much better and you will know what she is learning...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Why don't you talk to the daycare about what they teach before assuming they are going to teach your child some religious doctrine you don't subscribe to? Odds are, they are going to focus on standard stuff ALL kids learn in preschool - number, letters, social manners - and then for a religious organization, prayer before meals (very non-denominational prayers, I might add). But only they can address your concerns, all we can doe is respond based on assumptions, not even knowing what denomination the church daycare is.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I agree with the previous posters. You can ask WHAT they teach, but you can't tell them what to teach or not to teach. That is ludicrous.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Why on earth would you send your child to a CHURCH preschool and not want her to be exposed to what they are teaching??? Seriously, find another school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would discuss what is taught before enroling her. Realistically- do you have the right to ask the church preschool not to teach your child religion? Probably not- you are knowingly signing her up for a church preschool and the church has the right to share their religion with those who enroll to hear it. If you're uncomfortable with what is being taught, I would find a secular preschool even if it is a little less conveniant.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I don't think it's appropriate to ask them to refrain from teaching her religion. But it may put you at ease to know in preschool they teach Bible basics. Ask them about their religious curriculum for preschool. I'm betting it isn't anything like you are expecting. =)
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I just answered this question of yours on the other thread that you posted it at...

If it is a Church runned program... then No your child will get the daily religious lessons that are planned for that day. ( I was a teacher for a pre-school church runned program)...
    If you do not wish your child to be exposed to religion, then my suggestion is to find another more public runned pre-school to place your child...

good luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:42 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I agree with JPsMommy605: Don't assume that it's that different, ask them. You might learn that it's not as different as you think, and of course he's going to be exposed to many things in his life. What makes a difference is that you take moments to explain things that he struggles with or that you may not agree with. But check it out first.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2009