Is it acceptable for me to ask a church preschool to not teach my child religion?

I recently moved, and I am thinking I would like my daughter to attend preschool close to home. The problem is, the only preschool close is a church preschool. Although it is a great school, it is not the same religion as me or my families. I would like my daughter to grow up with the same values as my family. I am fine with them teaching her basic bible stories, but beyond that, I would like to atleast know the lesson before hand, and then have the option for her to not participate. Any advice?

bamatamimom

Asked by bamatamimom at 9:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in

• Nothing brings out the judgmental Christians like a question like this. What a bunch of harpies. For all you people know she's a Methodist talking about a Baptist pre-school, and you all act like she's an athiest trying to take her kids to the Vatican. The OP SAYS she has her own religion and that it doesn't match that of the pre-school.

To the OP- my friend's students all have the options to opt out of anything their parents want. It's a church-based PS, but it's also the biggest one in the area and they get lot of cross-denom or no-denom kids. If this is the only one in your area, it's likely the same for them. Call and ask, discuss what specifically you're not comfortable with. At hers, Noah's Ark is about as biblical as it gets.
    Anonymous

• I guess just talk to them. A lot of preschools that are at Churches don't really teach religion beyond maybe doing a simple prayer or two and maybe sharing a few popular Bible stories.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Nope, not acceptable. This is a CHURCH....you know that from the beginning. They will and should most likely say NO NO NO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You could ask them the format and see if it fits with what you want, ,but as far as asking them to stop doing something they normally do, or calling you every lesson they have, no, that would be too much.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:44 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son's preschool handed out a calendar each month that showed what the lesson plan was all about each day anyway so I always knew what the focus would be. He went to "St. Anne's" for school , obviously supported by the Catholics Church and they did not teach religion. They had a type of prayer they said before their snack but it wasn't a formal prayer and they didn't even teach Bible stories. If it's the only one in your area it's likely that they are similar and understand that some of the students going are not going to have the same beliefs as that specific Church. Ask them about that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• ummmmm its a church.. asking a CHURCH to not teach religion is like getting a cab and asking him to just sit in the driveway for a bit
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i'd find a different daycare , they're not going to stop doing their "rituals" for you or your child and it would be wrong for her to not be included with the rest of the kids, she'd feel left out, and like one pp said it IS a church
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• No. It's a church, and they will not alter their teachings for one child. I think you should look into a different child care program.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:53 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It's a church. That's what they do. Having a church daycare appeals to many parents in having religion taught to their children at a young age to help further their beliefs in God. If you aren't for having religion taught to you child then perhaps you may consider moving daycares.

That's like taking your kid to public school and asking them to design a lesson plan specifically for your child geared towards private school. Not gonna happen.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Do you know for sure it's Church preschool? When I taught at Head Start our center was in a Church ...but wasn't part of the Church. Head Start only rented the space from the Church. Other daycares/preschools do the same thing around here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2009