How would you like your kids living with you after they are in their 20s.

ok so as like my Son who is 25 and still lives at home is driving me nuts lol. Becky

Rebecca523

Asked by Rebecca523 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Not a chance! I made it very clear to my DH, once the kids are 18, they can live at college (which I will pay for) or they can get a job and go out on their own. Both of us were on our own by then... I feel it's the best way!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:55 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I guess it depends on the situation. If they were just mooching off me and not doing anything then NO. If they are in college or just having a rough time and trying to get back on their feet sort of thing, then probably.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 9:57 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My brother lived at home until he was 26, that is when he got married. He had to pay my parents rent, he worked full time and went to school part time. My parents didn't help him with school. Their rule was if you didn't go right after high school you didn't get help because other kids were coming up that would need their help. Anyway, if he helped around the house, mowing, laundry (besides his own), dishes, whatever, then rent was less. Now, if he was just sitting at home doing nothing, then my parents probably would have made him get out on his own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Well.... Im 25 .. Dh. DD & I live with mom..
    ..I was planning to go to college out of state & start a great independent life (parents would foot the bill on college but i would have been working in the right direction).. then my dad died when i was in highschool. it changed our life. suddenly she wanted me to go to college locally-- so i could still live at home.. and now shes made it clear she doesnt want us to ever move out...
    I know she is afraid to live at home & I feel pure guilt for thinking about moving out & leaving her.. Its very stressful & I believe alot of my problems i have right now are because of this..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would have noproblems with my children staying with me. However, I would have the rule that they are in school full time or working full time. I wouldn't let them be unemployed bums.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 10:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think at the age of 25, they should only be at home temporarily, like if they were having a hard time and needed to get back on their feet. I would make them pay rent....at least something, maybe try to base it on something he can afford...maybe say a 1/4 of his monthly income. Just something because really it is about the responsibility and not so much the money. But I would always be encouraging them to get their own place. We've had different adults kids come back home and the goal was to get them back out on their own....at least for us, one dd and her 4 kids stayed for a year!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I don't mind my children living at home after they are 18, but they have to follow the house rules. If they don't, they are out the door.
    sew4heaven

Answer by sew4heaven at 11:41 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Depends on why. Some are lazy and don't work, and can't afford their own place. Some are working hard, giving their parents money, and contributing to the household. One of my friends is a debt free family (no mortgage). Their 22 year old is moving out August 15. The day he closes on his new home that he is paying cash for. He has earned his keep at his parents house, doing all of their car repairs for free (he is a mechanic), household chores, and I think he cooked twice a week for his parents and 2 younger siblings.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My oldest moved out at 27. It's ok but took a while to get used to but I still have a almost 19 and almost 21 yr old at home and going to college so they will be here for several more years.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My parents never told us we had to move out at a certain age. We were still a family, and everyone pitched in. My younger brother lived with my parents untill he bought his house 10 years ago. My younger sister lived with my parents until the day she died. My parents like the arrangement , and benefited from it. The same for my brother and sister.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 11:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009