Did I change my sons bed too soon?

My son turned 2 in april. Last night we took his front rail off of his crib to convert it into a day bed (its one of the 3 in 1 cribs that converts). And he fell out of bed once during the night and then again when he woke up this morning. We had a body pillow on the floor in front of his bed, but did we change things too soon? He likes the rail off but Im afraid he'll get hurt and keep falling out of bed. Any suggestions???

swtcheeks418

Asked by swtcheeks418 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He probably won't get hurt if it is on the lowest setting. He will quickly learn the edge of the bed in his sleep.
    I wouldn't worry too much, just keep the pillow there and don't rush right in, he may go back to sleep on the floor.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:56 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• one side complitly open? cribs are not that wide, every time he trys to turn he gonna fall off. i don't like those beds for my kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• We switched all 3 of my boys before then, but I have notice that they did better in a regular toddler bed then the crib turned into one. It does sit lower and the rails helped keep them in. You might want to try that. My youngest boy is 2 now but he's been in a toddler bed for almost 4 months.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• A converted crib is the same thing as a toddler bed. She just didn't want to put the safety rail on! :)That being said, I would let your little one know that the rail is there for his safety. It will keep him contained better than the side being open. I plan on keeping mine in his crib as long as I can because I am a worrier and will also be afraid he will get hurt! ;) I think you have done the right thing though, just put that safety rail on for him!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:03 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My 2 y/o was always attempting to climb over, which made me more worried than not having the crib side on.
    He'll adjust just fine. Leave the pillow there for awhile. Make sure the night stand isn't where he will hit his head.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 10:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Put the rail back on and just keep it lowered and put a step stool in front of the bed so he can climb out when he gets up. That's what we did for our oldest boy's :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:32 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You can buy bedrails designed specifically for convertible cribs if you're concerned about his continuing to fall out. He'll be able to get in and out safely on his own but it reduces the chances of him falling out. Otherwise, just keep the floor padded and wait for him to get use to it (which will happen).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I switched my daugther to a bed around Christmas (she turned 2 in April as well). She fell out twice (we have a bed rail on it but she still managed to fall out!) but hasn't since.
    Your son will adjust very soon I'm sure!
    stephandteah

Answer by stephandteah at 1:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• trying putting th pillow next to him on the bed, my 28 month old is in a twin size bed with a pillow next time and i havent had any trouble with him falling out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Jul. 31, 2009