Do you think Texas might secede from the union?

Gov Perry has said that he will try to fight nationalized healthcare. And he also mentioned awhile back, that Texas could secede from the union because of a clause (or something like that) in the constitution.

Do you think it could happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If it does...I'm moving...TO Texas!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:07 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• They can't secede. a supreme court ruling yrs ago took that right away. More states need to refuse the healthcare bill IF it passes.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:13 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I find it funny that the second Texas got a few swine flu cases, Perry shut up about seceding and begged for federal help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I live in Texas - and I'm not opposed to examining the concept. I've just about had it with this country as it is now (and I was born and raised here!) I can't even express how truly sick & tired I am of having a government that doesn't give a crap what my vote says. Thankfully I live in one of the states that can viably examine the possibility of saying "kiss my ass USA" and trust me it's not that I don't love the USA. On September 11th - I loved this country, when the president announced that we would hunt them down, I loved this country, when my brother was shot in Iraq, I loved this country. But when "we the people" elected a president who OPENLY validates and perpetuates racial discord (AND "We the People" DON'T Impeach him - I no longer love this country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• See ya, wouldn't want to be ya.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• :26--spoken like a true 5 year old!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I am from Texas. I think Rick Perry is a freaking moron, and he has run MY homestate into the ground. I'd take Bush back personally. Besides that, Texas technically CAN secede but I believe it requires a vote within the Texas Congress and that wouldnt happen.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2009/04/17/texas-secession-perry-one-third-of-texans-are-wrong-texas-cant-secede.html

http://www.texassecede.com/faq.htm

but I could be wrong.
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 10:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• anonymous - Racial discord? I assume you are white. I think Obama spoke in haste, but still - to get awareness about how differently people are treated by the police is important.
    I think most white people don't understand how privileged they are.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• "We the people" couldn't impeach him if we wanted to. You can't impeach a president just because you don't like him. Here, read this: http://www.abanet.org/publiced/impeach2.html

Got it?
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:02 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think it has more to do with the 10th amendment & states rights than secession. You're taking a statement that was made a while back & using it on a current situation. Not a statement he made about this current situation. I think he was incredibly frustrated with how much power washington is asserting when he made the comment about secession.  I live in TX and am damn glad that someone out there is actually looking out for my rights as Washington continues on a power grab.  BTW: It's not just Texas now.  Alaska has a group & Nebraska is talking about trying to find a way to use the 10th amendment to assert their states rights as well.

mynameismuerte

Answer by mynameismuerte at 11:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2009