If they are annoying do you ask them to stop? Even if they are just being a kid!

My 5yo LOVES to "sing" but it can get very annoying because to us adults it's just noise. Am I being a bad parent by asking my kids to be quiet when when we are inside some of the time? I mean she does this while she is coloring or working on puzzles or otherwise "quiet" activities while my other 2 kids are being relatively quiet. Would you expect some amount of quietness out of your kids inside when you have several little kids. She is my oldest so my house can get pretty noisy at times.

TheBabyFactory4

Asked by TheBabyFactory4 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I definitely do!! i let them express themselves to a point but they also have to learn that there are appropriate times for noisy behavior and times for quiet behavior.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 10:27 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• my 8 year old dose the same thing sometimes and i ask her to quieten down somshe get's pretty loud . I don't think u r being mean just ask her to a lower it down some
    Angel267

Answer by Angel267 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I do sometimes. You can tell her that while you love her singing she needs to keep it down once in a while so the other kids can concentrate on what they're doing. Or tell her if she wants to sing she could go play in her room and sing there.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yep sure do
    mommytoG

Answer by mommytoG at 10:36 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I sure do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I do all the time. There is only so much noise I can take and that includes singing, music, the TV, the kids playing, little toy pianos, etc. I'm very sensitive to noise and after awhile my brain starts to shut down because it can't process it all any more. Then I have to tell them to be quiet or go somewhere that I can't hear it because I'll have a breakdown. They understand so they are usually pretty good about turning down the TV and finding something quiet to do. Or they will come shut my door and tell me I need "quiet time" lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• you could say that you would like some quiet time and to take the singing to another room.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 1:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• We tend to treat it like family members making requests of each other. That means "owning" it & asking someone to accommodate us because we're bothered or distracted, versus treating it like something wrong or annoying that shouldn't be happening.
    We're all family members sharing space, and kids can understand that you feel frazzled or worn out sometimes & can't easily deal with noise right then. The more generally positive your interactions are, the more they can take this in stride & adapt themselves.
    I try not to assume that my irritability is an accurate barometer of what is acceptable/reasonable or not (i.e., just because I'm irritated or annoyed doesn't mean the behavior bugging me actually is A Problem.) Sure I can ask the kids to be considerate of my feelings but I also work on regulating my emotions instead of "needing" the environment to change.

And I see happy singing while engaged/absorbed as a sign of well-being!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:21 AM on Dec. 28, 2014