• In the Spotlight:

Oh what a rainy day... How do you keep your toddler busy on a rainy day when you have to stay inside?

It's rainy :( I sure wish the sun would shine. My 2 year old is begging to go outside.

Gavsmama06

Asked by Gavsmama06 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we're going to clean up around the house lol... my dd is 3 but she loves helping (bad mom i know )
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If it's not storming, just raining, and it's warm out we play in the rain! Otherwise there's always duck duck goose, coloring, she can help you bake or cook. Movie days with snacks. You can read books. Playdough. There's lots to do.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• We live in the desert and it's too hot (average has been 115 degrees lately) to go out during the day, so I have a lot of inside games that I play with my son. We have a little bouncy ball and we play catch. We have a big cardboard box that he LOVES! Follow the leader is fun. He loves it when we're just plain silly. He has a lot of books; we'll read them. He loves piggy back rides and playing with his toy tool set. In the mornings, we sit and watch Playhouse Disney together. And he has one of those Crayola things to color with. He likes hiding things and laughs while I try to find them. He likes chasing our cat around the house and he plays with his Baby V-Smile.
    We only go outside in the evenings. He loves it, but it's just not smart to take him out in this horrible heat.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• coloring books and decorating cookies -- thats what my son did everytime it rained!!
    we even practiced flash cards , shapes , abc's etc ...
    pop in a movie w/ a snack ...
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 10:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son is finger painting right now :) I love a rainy day every once in awhile!
    Gavsmama06

Answer by Gavsmama06 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• set up an obstacle course then play follow the leader. jump over stuffed animals, crawl under the table, walk arourd the pile of books, jump three times, turn around, touch the door, etc. be creative. THen there are calm activities such as finger paints, coloring, stories. But I love the obstacle course before naps to get the energy out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• We go "bowling" with plastic cups and whatever ball is handy. I'm also ok with going out in the rain to play as long as it isn't cold or thundering.. It's also a good time to "turn over" your toybox. Dig for the toys that have wandered to the bottom and may not have been seen in a while. Since most toddlers like to put things in and out, use plastic buckets and groups of small, kid-safe items to sort (i.e. all the cars go in bucket 1, all the people in bucket 2, the balls in bucket 3).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• When my oldest son was young we used to go "puddle jumping." If he's begging to go out, let him go out and play in the rain, it's just water! If it's warm, put him in his swimsuit and let him go to town.

Answer by missanc at 3:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• When it's wet and rainy, Tiphani and I play games and color. We also have a picnic in the house. We also do yoga and take a nap. We do watch TV but she enjoys doing all the other things.
    TiphaniMommy

Answer by TiphaniMommy at 6:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2009