The smell, The smell! ~There really needs to be a birth answers section~

The only major hurdle I can't get my fiance over about OKing a home birth is because he says it smells and he doesn't want our house to smell. besides tarps and a blanket to make sure we don't mess our carpet (I'm kinda laughing at that..) How DO you keep the smell down and get rid of it after a home birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I hate to tell him that the smells get worse After the baby is born
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I have three kids and have never noticed a smell.

Tell him to buy some Lysol lol.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 11:12 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Honestly I don't know if it smells or not, as I haven't had my baby, yet. But it seems to me that after you have the baby and the midwife cleans up the mess, the bulk of any smells should disappear. It's like when you poop. You flush the toilet, turn on the exhaust fan, and 10 minutes later, the smell is gone. Especially if you are getting a tarp to catch everything in. Once the tarp is gone, the smell should be gone, I would think, anyway.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My mom had a home birth and I don't remember there being a smell. Of course, I was only 9 1/2 at the time, but in relaying the birth story years later my parents never mentioned a smell. Mom gave birth in her bed and everything was cleaned up pretty quickly, probably less than an hour after my brother was born. That I do remember very clearly.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2009