Welfare? Living on free money?

Okay, maybe I do not understand this right. I hear people say that so and so lives off the government, gets free money, has more kids to get more money and so on. I thought that is not the way it works, I understand like WIC and medicaid but i do not understand the whole welfare thing. I know they give temp assistance to those in need but living off the government. Just curious if someone could clear this up so next time i hear someone going off I'll know. Im gonna post this one to two places

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yes, there are people living off the government. To me, if you do not even ATTEMPT to find work or support yourself, lie to get benefits, you are living off of the govt. I do know a girl who has been on it for a while, but she truly needs it. She also works fulltime. But some take advantage. Some lie. Just like on taxes, I know someone who claims their cousins so they can get more money back!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Sadly, there are second and third generations living on welfare. Our government has never figured out how to teach people, especially women, how to support their families.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2009