Welfare? Living on free money?

Okay, maybe I do not understand this right. I hear people say that so and so lives off the government, gets free money, has more kids to get more money and so on. I thought that is not the way it works, I understand like WIC and medicaid but i do not understand the whole welfare thing. I know they give temp assistance to those in need but living off the government. Just curious if someone could clear this up so next time i hear someone going off I'll know. Im gonna post this one to two places in case you see it twice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I think that some people use welfare as a stepping stone-to get back up on their feet. Others, live off it. They do nothing to improve their financial situation and some don't see the problem with receiving these benefits year after year-those are the people who "live off welfare"-they don't try to do anything for themselves, many have the mentality that that is just the way it is for them...and the sad thing is is that they are OK with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Some do live off the gov. I know a lady with a cadilac, nice clothes, apartment and no job. They should be more careful and give it to those who actually do need it, and how about all the people, young people collecting ssi because the say they are bi-polar, or crazy, or whatever, any one can say they are crazy, a guy in my neighborhood collects money because he is afraid of dirt! I'm not joking.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• ya because like 200 bucks will be alot to live off of.. will make you a baller! lol idk if you would really call any money like that "living" my friend its her and 2 kids she gets 250 in cash 200 in food and medical.. and works 20 hrs a week at taco bell... and she struggles so hard.. so i would not call that living.. if so not a life id like to live
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Well, my mom lived off the gov. She got cash assistance, child support, and got 3 out of 5 of us falsely diagnosed with mental problems so she could get ssi. My step dad paid her support and didn't go through the gov, so she said she wasn't getting any, and eventually they went after him. He had kept the cancelled checks tho, so he got cleared. She cleared a total of 3000 a month, and rent was 30 bucks or so because of housing, and she still couldn't pay it. The ironic thing was, there was never food money at the end of the month either.

I moved out when I was 14. By 19 I was adding to the problem by paying her landlord my money when he came around.

I later found out that she had opened multiple credit accounts in my name as soon as I had turned 18.

Is this everyone on welfare? He** no, especially now. But there are an awful lot like her.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:39 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Live off welfare! Bullshit! I only get 250 a month for me any my two children, I don't even get child support b/c they're taking so long for a court date. I am not on this by choice. Matter of fact I've been out of work for 6mos desperately looking for employment and I am finally deciding to sign up b/c i have no choice! The positive thing is that they do job placement so Hopefully I won't be on welfare for more than 3 mos. It is not a picnic for those who think it is. Plus you have to report all of your business to the government and they have ppl visiting your house to do check ups...can't wait until I get back on my feet
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• A good way to work the system is to go to college. No kidding, my neighbor and his girlfriend both have Master's degrees all done completely on welfare and they still won't work. Now they have a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• A former friend of mine lives off the system. She has 4 boys all have mental delays after she started getting 2k a month for her first she realized she needed more kids with delays so she had sex with the mentally delayed homeless man down the road from her. She drank while pregnant and sure enough her second was born with serious issues. She fooled around with this same homeless guy two more times and all 4 of her kids are on assistance. She had 3 other children who were completely healthy she placed all three for adoption they don't bring in money for her. She gets 6k a month and lives very well. I have reported her many times since the boys are not getting the help they need their mom is spending all the money on what she wants. Thier case worker couldn't care any less if they tried. Her kids are so messed up they will always live with her and be her support. It is very sick but people do this.
    Anonymous

• Well, lets see how easy it is now to live off of the government. Clinton passed the welfare reform bill that among other things said you cannot stay on welfare more than 7 yrs.Obama completly trashed it. It's much less strict now and if you don't want to work, hey, the government will pay. Don't worry about getting pregnant and having an extra mouth to feed. The government will see that that child is fed by giving you more money. If you are ok with what the government has to offer you can stay on welfare indefinately.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• it is for the needy not for the lazy.
    someone I know does drugs has kids from different men. lives with her mom and gets by lying $1,400 a month for baby sitting and has a card for food stamps. pays hardly any taxes because she works for few weeks and stops and gets $5.000.
    My son just lost his home, worked very hard to keep it. Has not gotten welfare.
    Welfare should be short term not a career.
    Anonymous