What time is too early?

What time is too early for a kid to leave their own yard and venture out into the neighborhood? My son lives for riding his bike and has tried to head out as early as 7 in the morning! Now I know that is too early. I've been letting him play outside in our yard as long as he is quiet and let him leave our property after 9. Think 9 is good? He's quiet, he just rides his bike.

Jessica157

Asked by Jessica157 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• depends on his age
    how old is he?
    is he with other kids?

my 9 and a half year old rides her bike and goes blocks away to play
    smaller town, low crime, yet you never know even in small towns
    she calls when she gets to friends house and i speak to an adult
    but they (usually 3 or more 9-11 yr olds) play outside and go to school playground
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i don't think 7 is "too early" at all. around here, that's when it's mostly quiet and no one is out. less chance of getting hit by a car. 9 is fine too. but 7 is no problem to me.
    DeathBat

Answer by DeathBat at 11:15 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My kids have to wait until I'm up and awake in case something happens to them. I usually get up between 8 and 9am so they don't usually go out before 9. Depends on my mood. My 6yo just asked if she could go ride her bike and I told her she could after she does her chores.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If I lived in town I'm afraid our boys would be really upset. There's no way I would let them ride their bike away from our property. Thankfully we live on some land in the country and they can ride their bikes all around here. We have a bike trail in town that I take them to, it's a 3 mile ride and they love it, but they won't ever go alone. Not even our 13 yr old.. There are too many weirdos out there. I don't consider myself paranoid, I consider myself cautious.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Nine sounds perfect to me and that is about the time I would allow it.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yeah I think 9 would be a good time.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would say anytime after 9 am is ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• As long as he's quiet I don't think it matters really. The only thing I'd worry about is people leaving their homes to go to work. They may not expect a child out riding his bike at that age so you may want to wait until most people have left for work. But if it's safe I don't see why you wouldn't be able to let him ride whenever he wants.

I would not be upset if I saw a kid riding his bike past my house at 7.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I agree with beckcorc. That'd be concerned about the rush hour traffic (even in a neighborhood, you know what I mean).
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• As long as I am up and awake and it's light outside, I don't think there is a too early for riding bikes in the neighborhood. I think 9 is reasonable before going over to someone's house, etc, but just quietly riding his bike, he shouldn't be bothering anyone.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2009