Which hurt more - C-section or vaginal birth (please comment if you had BOTH)

In speaking with my doctor last night on the subject of possibly going into labor before my scheduled c-section, it got me thinking: would I want to try a vaginal birth if the baby was smaller than my first (DD was 8lbs 3oz) and labor was already starting?

First off, let me tell you that my first DD's labor was on the verge of horrible. I pushed for hours just to have a c-section that hurt like HELL. I thought I could never go through the pain of trying to push like that again though. Then this past weekend, I met up with my cousin and she told me that after she gave birth vaginally, there was this wave of relief from the pain- something that I did NOT have after my c-section. So now I'm pretty much undecided how I should do it if I go into labor before my scheduled date.

How was vaginal birth compared to c-section for you? Which did you prefer?

MaysonsMommy805

Asked by MaysonsMommy805 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• THE C-SECTION!!!

I had a c-section with my son and omg... I would not wish that on my worst enemy. I could do almost nothing for 4 weeks, couldn't do any cleaning (vacuuming, sweeping, etc) for 6 weeks, couldn't sleep in my own bed (slept sitting up on the couch) for 8 weeks, and I wasn't back to "normal" til 3 months after the surgery. It was a total and complete nightmare and I will NEVER go through it again unless 100% necessary.

My vaginal birth with my 2nd child was one of the most amazing things I've ever been through. All 25 hours of it! I stayed at home for 23 hours and labored in the bathtub for a long time. We finally left for the hospital and made our 1 hour drive there. Even with the hospital nurses touching me (GRR) and bugging me about stupid stuff, I still have to say that it was the best thing I've ever went through. I thoroughly enjoyed being in labor and actually want to do it again (at home :P)!
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 11:50 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Vbacs are dangerous, I would not be concerned so much with the pain of pushing a baby out, than the "what ifs" of a Vbac. It can cause your uterus to tear, thus causing a hysterectomy, MASSIVE blood loss, or even death. if you had ac-section before I would go ahead and opt for another one if you plan on having more children in the future. As for your questions, I never had a c-section, but My sister did, and she never had a vaginal birth but I did- what I will tell you is this, she was in pain for about 2 weeks after her c-section, as SOON as I pushed my baby out, that was it, the pain was gone!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 11:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• VBAC's are dangerous?!?! Since when? VBAC's carry less risks than the risks associated with a scheduled repeat c-section. They are only 0.4% more "dangerous" than a normal vaginal birth and that's only bc of the risk of uterine rupture... which is very low!

I had ZERO complications with my VBAC and out of the many women I've met who have had one, only 1 had had a uterine rupture and only a few others had any other complications (which were due to interventions such as pitocin, forceps, etc, NOT the VBAC itself).

VBAC.com (great site for statistics)
    ican-online.org (international cesarean network)
    And there's also a WONDERFUL VBAC group here on Cafemom: http://www.cafemom.com/group/1540
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 11:57 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Oh and as for that wave of relief... Yes! It is amazing! Your body has been working so hard and once the baby is born you get a huge surge of adrenaline pumping through your body that makes you feel high. I was never told about that so I freaked out a bit when I started shaking, but it was so cool! All that work I went through and the intensity of the contractions disappeared and I was on cloud nine. Much better than my groggy drugged state after the c-section.
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 12:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I had a c-section with my first.. and I guess I was lucky because I was up and in not much pain the first week. Hell I had to drive to my post partum visit 3 days after I was released from the hospital. I never had much pain from it, and was able to sleep laying down fine. I haven't had a vag birth, and don't plan on it with this one either.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it goes well! :)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• The section hurt worse. MUCH worse. My home VBAC was AMAZING and once the baby was out, the pain was over. I was up and about after just a few hours nap, were as with the section it took me WEEKS to feel ok getting out of bed.

As for vbacs being dangerous. No, they are not, As long as your labor is not augmented with pit or other labor inducing drugs.
    calebmama

Answer by calebmama at 12:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I have had 7 vaginal births and one c-section. My c-section was due to my son, the cord was wrapped around his kneck so he was having issues, so I had an emergency c-section he was my 5th pregnancy in which the 4 before him were all successful vaginal births.

My next 3 births were all VBAC's in which I had no issues with, my recovery was quick and I'm so thankful I was able to have vaginal births after that c-section in which was painful and took for ever to heal!

If your baby was too big and that is why you had the c-section will your doctor give you the choice? Most doctors don't .... I hope you have a great birth experience!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 12:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Interesting piece of trivia:

Over half (closer to 75%) of the women who have a VBAC have LARGER babies than their c-section baby. With no complications!!

Example: A friend of mine had a c-section with her 7lb, 6oz son. Her daughter was 7lb, 12oz and her other son was 9lb, 8oz (both VBAC). My own children were 7lb, 9oz & 7lb, 14oz with the larger being my VBAC baby. I even know a woman who VBAC'd a 12lb, 2oz baby!
    Anonymous

• c section it takes you longer to heal and your in the hospital longer than a vaginal birth
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2009