Do you think the Ferber method really works?

I have read a lot about the Ferber method when taking care of a baby, I feel like I am not responding to my childs needs fast enough, where Dr.Ferber will say that I am responding to the needs, but making him more independent by not doing it RIGHT AWAY.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think the ferber method teaches babies that you don't care about their needs. I have three kids and all are very independent and we didn't "Ferberize" them.
    They are only little for so long. I see nothing wrong with seeing to their need right away, There is plenty of time to teach them independence when they are old enough to understand it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i used the ferber method when i switched my dd form bassinet to crib after i checked and made sure she wasnt in pain, not hungery, and she was warm and dry. my dd woke up every hr on the hr and i was trying to work a full time job the ferber method was the only thing that worked to a certain point now we do the cio method since she is older ad she doesnt need my attention so much anymore. shes 4 soon to be 5 and she STILL gets up at least 1-2x a night. i loves the ferber method b/c i still felt like i was able to attend to my dds needs well she was learning to self sooth
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:57 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I haven't read the ferber method, but I think the rationale behind it is sound. Whether or not it is extreme, I cannot say. I think all parenting "styles" have the potential to create healthy well rounded kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• honestly i think it has helped my son i've been doing it a while, after he gets his nighttime bath and bottle he is wide awake but really cranky and we try and rock him to sleep and hold him tight and he just doesn't want any of it. but when we put him in his crib he just lays awake and falls asleep by himself and he doesn't cry anymore. he sleeps 8-9hrs straight at night since 10 weeks
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i TOTALLY believe in the ferber method. with my doctors permission i started my 3 month old on it, it's normally not recommended at this young of an age, but my son litterally wasn't sleeping at all, and i don't mean barely sleeping, i mean he stayed awake for 24 hours straight at one point. he wasn't crying the whole time, but was still awake. after talking to my doctor she said even if he isn't fussy, babies HAVE to sleep. they will not grow properly without it. of course when i sat him in his bed and left, he cried, i did the ferber method. i checked on him for 5 min, then 10, and i didn't even have to wait the 15 because guess what? he was ASLEEP and slept for 6 full hours, woke up, ate, and slept for 6 MORE hours! most people think ferber is just leaving him to cry and not coming back, but it ISNT. you continue checking on them, and calming them down, until they fall asleep. you just don't pick them up. it worked wonders.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 12:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2010