Could this mean a early walker?

My son has his walker down! He can run in it, turn around when needed back up then go forward. Could this mean he could be an early walker? And we walk with him holding on to his hands and he does very well walking like this too. He wants to let go but he is still a bit young to walk. He is 7 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be, although I have heard that the muscles/balance that a child uses in a walker are different from those he actually uses for walking - I read that leaving a child in a walker for extended periods of time (more than 1/2 hour at a time) actually slows walking. But walking holding on to your hands, or "cruising" around furniture is great practice for him for walking, as long as your back holds out! :) My son is 8 months and has been "cruising," but doesn't let go and when he does he drops back on his tush, so I don't know, but good luck!

Answer by missanc at 11:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• my baby was pulling up on furniture and walking along it by 7 months, but he didn't master walking on his own until just before his first birthday. i think it is kind of impossible to predict. :)

also, if you aren't careful, the walker might actually inhibit independent walking because he will learn to rely on it. but i wouldn't worry too much; he'll surely walk at some point.
    bonnielauper

Answer by bonnielauper at 11:39 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Maybe, but I've learned that walkers can delay walking as the child learns to walk while leaning forward and pushing the walker rather than standing upright. So they have to relearn out to walk. There's no sure fire way to know when our child will walk. Mine always tried to stand from a young age and had very strong legs. The doc always said "she'll be walking soon" but no walking until 13 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Walkers work the wrong muscles for "early" walking and have actually been shown to delay it. This is why they're not recommended. So, no...sorry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Is he crawling? Most babies crawl first.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Maybe... My son never had a walker, I've heard they aren't good for development and of coarse not safe around stairs (which we have) ...my son started cruising as soon as he learned to crawl, which was about 7 months and started walking on his own at 10 1/2 months
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My pediatrician has a study showing that for every hour a baby spends in a walker, delays actual walking by a day. Walkers allow babies to move by ramdom movement, so it teaches them to use the wrong muscles. Best to ditch the walker and focus on pulling up, walking assisted and cruising. And apexmommy, crawling is actually not even considered a milestone since some babies never crawl. it is actually pretty common to go straight to pulling up, cruising and walking.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 1:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son has been cruising since he was 8 months. He'll be 11 months on Sunday and still doesn't want to walk. If he wants to wait a bit longer, that's fine with me! It's hard enough trying to catch him as it is! =)
    Anonymous

• Doubt it. Babies walk when they wanna.

My older two walked at 9, and 10 months. My 1 year old still isn't walking on her own (although she has taken steps by herself).

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2009