Have you attended an online university? How'd it go?

I'm interested in University of Phoenix, specifically for their BS in Health Administration. If you've been through an online university, please let me know what you did and didn't like about it, the costs, and how long it took. Most importantly, was it worth it?

emubren

Asked by emubren at 11:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• I go to the University of Phoenix. The cost depends on your major and all of that. I am going for Criminal justice. I am starting out at Axia College (UOPs junior college) for my Associates Degree and will be getting my bachelors afterwards. I love it! I am in my second block of classes. The only problem is the com teachers are hard asses lol. I got points taken off of an assignment because of a sentence fragment! Also, the financial advisors are HARD to reach! Other than that, I like it alot. There is a group on here for UOP, search for it. Great place to share experiences and ask questions.
    Goodluck :-)
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I'm currently a student at the UofP. I LOVE IT! This school was made for me. I'm not the type who would actually go to class, I hated that! So to be able to go to school whenever I want is perfect. There is a lot of work to it though and you have to be very self-disciplined. The only thing I don't like is that you have team assignments. I thought I would avoid that being in an online school and all, but you get assigned a team and have to work together and turn things in. It's just frustrating because you don't actually ever see these team members.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I did not go to an "online school" but most colleges now offer online programs, sometimes 100% or at least the pre reqs can be taken online...Thats what I do..from experience, they are not easier. It is sometimes harder bc you are not getting a class lecture. like a normal class setting you learn from someone talking, from your own reading, from group activities etc....online you dont have as many options unless the teacher is REALLY great, I had one class that the teacher video recorder himself and gave lectures that way so it was truly like a real classroom. You read a TON. so dont do this if you dont like to read and write. and everyting is super super speedy...you do like 4 chapters a week sometimes....but the actual online universities, i think are alot harder to get financial aid for....and i dont trust some of them , have heard some bad things.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2009