How can I help my 3 year old?

My 3 year old son is terrified of thunder. I don't know how to help him so that he isn't scared of the thunder, rain, and wind anymore. Any suggestions?

dragonmommyj

Asked by dragonmommyj at 11:39 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• try taking him out and sitting on the porch, let him see first hand that its not scarry, and just keep reasuring him that its ok, nothing can hurt him..

we had to do that with my 3 year old... now hes still a little scared but not as bad
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• see if you can find books for his age that explain what thunder is. also do something fun (like banging pots and pans) while the thunder is going...
    chases_mommy

Answer by chases_mommy at 12:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i had a friend and her girl was terrified of the sound of the trash man picking up the trash and when my boy got to that age i just would sound all excited when he asked me "whats that?" i just said "omg its a garbage truck lets go see it" and so we ran outside and the garbage man was looking at us like we were looney but i didnt care,anytime he says he's scared i ask why and i show him whatever he is scared of is nothing,but im also the mom that dont say the words like monster,scary,the dark,i think you should work on teaching him the weather (thats what im doing now:) and when it start raining say "omg whats the weather like?" and get all excited
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think I need to add that this happens at bed time. He will even wake up screaming when the thunder rolls. During the day we can be excited, and we usually are, about things. But that really isn't such a good idea when trying to get him to go to sleep. Thanks for the help so far!
    dragonmommyj

Answer by dragonmommyj at 9:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2009