• In the Spotlight:

boy will not eat after choking.....

my nephew choked over a week ago on a jawbreaker... he threw it up after a few seconds..... he then went on vacation w/his uncle and choked again.... he came back and has not wanted to eat.. he show anxiety everytime you mention any meal or snack time. we have called a dr and asked what to do.... we have tried the eggs, pasta, soups, puddings and all... still not doing it.... drinking is also a problem, he swishes it in his mouth and then swallos it several minutes later...

does anyone have any other ideas on how to help him cope with this situation.... it is really hard to see him like this, especially when it is summer and really hot... he needs his energy to play and have fun... i don't want him to get dehydrated....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Health

• He should be seen by an ENT. Maybe his throat hurts. What is with giving kids jawbreakers? I wonder if your nephew is the same one one of my girl scouts saved in California??
    Apparently it was really bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Giving kids jawbreakers is part of being a kid... what is with giving kids hot dogs and tootsie rolls???? choking hazards!!! accidents do happen..... you can't not give a kid something cuz it might happen!!!!
    traceym1226

Answer by traceym1226 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Kids choke and can choke on anything they eat..not just jawbreakers,hot dogs, etc. Are you not going to feed your kid anything because they MIGHT choke. I agree with taking him to an ENT and seeing if he hurt his throat. Otherwise, a counselor may be able to help him. What did the doctor say? It may just take time for him to eat again. Make sure he is drinking and staying hydrated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• So you would let your child have a jawbreaker the diameter of his throat and not worry about them choking on it? Do you not realize that it can damage the tissue of the throat trying to retrieve it and that the child could have permanent damage? Yet, it is all part of being a child. I did not say don't give the kid candy, but you can be a little smarter on what type of candy. BESIDES the fact our dentist specifically said NO JAWBREAKERS as well as NO GUMMY candy. (That was at their first appointment before any problems.)
    I say again, there may be something wrong with his throat, take him to an ENT for evaluation.
    Anonymous

• my son had the same problem but it was some meat and he still wont eat it and its been like a month the only kind i can get him to eat is hamburger. take him to the doctor and see what they say my doctor just said keep trying to get him to eat it and sooner or later he should take it again.
    Anonymous

• On our 1st dentist appt, they did say Not to eat anything gummy, fruit roll ups, etc....and as far as being smarter on what I give a kid is ridiculos!! Kids and Adults can choke on ANYTHING, lollipops, gum, hard candy, mentos, lifesavers, m&m's, especially w/peanuts., steak, hotdogs, chicken, etc...............

he has seen his dr for a thorough physical including his throat since this has happen.they stated to give him liquids and try him on soft foods first... eggs, pudding, yogurts, ice cream, pasta, etc...
    I was just wanting some advice on what else to try....

He has been drinking pedisure for nutrients and lots of water and gatorade to keep him hydrated....also eating puddings, yogurts, eggs but not a lot......
    traceym1226

Answer by traceym1226 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I can see why he is anxious about eating after two bad experiences. Have him seen by a doctor and possibly a counselor to work through his anxiety. Maybe some concrete suggestions, such as specific foods that are actually choking hazards so he can avoid those, and then just teaching him about eating smaller pieces and chewing carefully...so he can get over the fear.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2009