I am 40 weeks 4 days pregnant and I woke up with a bloody show at 7am this morning. Is labor starting and if not, when should I expect labor to start?

I also have a bad headache (no sure if this is related or not), have been irritable, my feet have been more swollen than usual, and this morning about an hour before the bloody show, a trickle of water (not sure if it's amniotic fluid or what) leaked not much at all though. I'm sure it wasn't urine because it did not smell like it or look like it, but it was only a trickle and I have not leaked any more. I also feel slight menstrual-like cramps. Is this the start of labor? Should I tell my husband to come home from work in case the baby is coming soon and he needs to drive me to the hospital?

monika11

Asked by monika11 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, it could be a sign. Take a shower and relax, you'll know soon enough if it's real labor. Stay home as long as possible. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• yes! I experienced the same thing, at the same time, and my baby was born at 11:30am! Just call your doc and keep him / her posted as to your progress and they will advise you of when you should head to the hospital. Good luck and congratulations!
    dani809

Answer by dani809 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• That is most likely the beginning of labor! But, unless you have some sort of medical condition, are several hours from the hospital, are on #3+ pregnancies, feel panicked, stop feeling the baby move, start bleeding (more than bloody show), see umbilical cord (wrap it in wet towel and put heating pad on it and head to hospital!), or are experiencing hard contractions at less than 4-5 minutes apart? Do NOT go to the hospital yet! They will only screw things up or give you an infection or something. The longer you stay at home and eat small snacks, take showers/baths, drink whatever you like, and kick your feet up/pace/grip wall in the comfort and your own native germs.. the better! You may want your hubby there for support, so sure call him. I wouldn't go on a cleaning spree or anything, just relax and watch a movie or something -- it's going to be a while and it's going to be an experience!! Good luck!
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 2:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2009