If I made this statement, would you say I was being ignorant?

I am married to a black man and he can get shot just trying to go to the store just because he's black.

Is this a stupid statement considering it isn't true anymore? I could see it being true if this were the 1940s or 50s or even the 60s - but this is not a completely true statement speaking of 2009.

You're more likely to be mugged because you dress too well or killed because you're openly gay in an openly "we hate gays" kind of town.

I just think that to say a man is more likely to be killed going to the store because he is black is pretty ridiculous. Do you?

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 12:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would like to thank all of you who took time to stop and and contribute to this conversation. Because I believe that there is no one best answer when it comes to this topic, I am choosing to close this question with a quote I find very encouraging to us all.

Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness.
    James Thurber
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:44 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Yes, I believe this statement is ignorant. But then again, there is probably on 5 black men in the town I live in. So, a white man has more chances of being shot here...
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• **only 5***

Typo in previous post
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I wouldnt be offended because i know it was a fact at some point in time, but see ive learned people look for attention so they'll blow the smallest thing up into something so totally different. Dont let it bother you, you know what you meant.
    SammiTaylorTM

Answer by SammiTaylorTM at 12:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would hope that you are not living in a neighborhood where ANYONE gets shot. Yikes......
    Anonymous

• Totally agree, that is just not the case anymore. I can't stand when someone plays the "race card" as the reason why they got a bad deal on something or didn't get the promotion etc...etc..
    There is no reason why an intelligent man or woman of any color can not have a good life. The only thing holding some people of color back is themselves, not their race.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 12:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think people just needs too stop and wake up,
    because we are all the same in many ways Black,White,Spanish etc.
    I am with a black man & I am Hispanic and I dont care what ppl think, I mean we never had nothing said too us but if we are in stores [it only happens if where somewhere out the city we live in] we can be walking with our kids and some ppl walk passed us and then look back and look at our kids just staring.
    I
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• This may not be the general case anymore...but I am honest enough to say that unfortuneatly, there are still ignorant people out there..who would shoot a person just because he/she was black. It is dispicable, disgusting and wrong...but there are still some people out there who are so ignorant and hateful to believe the color of ones skin matters more than "the content of their character" When I first saw President Obama running for office, I have to admit one of the first thoughts that came to my mind was "oh no, some idiot is going to take a shot at him" I hope he has very good security. How awful would it be for his wife and kids...and our country to lose someone for such a sensless ignorant reason.
    Anonymous

• luvmyboyzz, wow, it must be nice living in Neverland! Contrary to your ignorant thinking, YES racism does still exist. And when people do exerience it first hand, I find it funny they are accused of playing the "race card" as you put it. (btw I that little phrase is so cliche).
    Racism is not the cause for everything, but the least you could do is acknowledge it still exists in all races. That is, if you really don't really and truly believe that it has just disappeared.

Maybe I could join you sometime in Neverland. Sounds like the perfect getaway from reality!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Just to be clear: I didn't make that statement.

But when I heard it I did gasp a little and it made me feel like I was being forced into trying to agree with the speaker, when I clearly don't. I do not believe that any race is better or worse off just because of their race. We all work, or try to, we all try to make the ends meet - and for the record, there are the same amount non-black, non-white, non-Hispanic, non-Asian people on our PA systems, in our unemployment lines and on our knees praying that our govt. gets it right for a change. I honestly don't give a crap what your race is, I honestly do care if your heart is good.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2009