question re amniotic fluid

I'm 39 weeks and 5days and am just curious if I could be leaking A. fluids. I don't think I am cause there was no big gush, not even a tricle but its really wet down there... I don't want to go rushing to l&d because I have a 3y/o ds and no one to watch him... yesterday I had an appointment and they stretched my cervix a little... could it just be because of this? I put my finger down there and its a clear liquid that doesn't have a smell to it... what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it probably is amniotic fluid...but dont be alarmed...theres no harm in leaking a TINY bit...more will just be produced...if the baby stops moving much, or if you were diagnosed with the strep virus...then go to the doctors right away...if your still nervous at least call your doc and have a nurse talk to you...sometimes that can just ease your mind
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I was VERY wet in the last week of my pregnancy. I can't even tell you how many times I thought my water had broke. Even the DAY I was in labor, lol, and my water idn't break til about 10 minutes before I pushed my daughter out ;)

However, if your water HAS broken it is NOT an emergency. No need to rush to the hospital. Do not stick anything into your vagina (increases risk of infection), drink lots of water so that the fluid rebuilds itself (it will do this your whole labor), and make sure you're not running a temperature (anything above 100.4 is a sign of infection). Unless you have a fever, you are safe to stay home until contractions start, which can take up to 48 hours or even longer.
    Anonymous