Being around cats while pregnant?

Is it really bad to have a cat around while you are pregnant or even when the baby is born is it safe to have a cat?

kandacecarmical

Asked by kandacecarmical at 1:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have 2 kitties and I even scooped their litter a couple times while I was pregnant b/c I felt bad for the poor cats (DH hates their litter) -- I wore gloves and a mask. The danger with cat feces is a parasite (taxoplasmosis) that you can catch from it and can cause your baby to catch the parasite and cause some birth defects -- this parasite is also often found in undercooked pork, in unclean water, on dirty veges, and soil. The thing is, tho, most folks who have cats have already been exposed and once exposed you will not catch it again. If you HAVE to change litter, use precautions that I did. Cats are not dangerous to babies unless very, very ill-tempered and mean - even then they may just be afraid. My one cat ignores baby even when grabbed and the other follows him around and watches him and asks to be petted and even if he pulls her fur out she just walks away. If you have nice kitties they'll be fine!
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 2:06 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• do not change litter box
    a;so
    outside cats poo in garden and sandboxes
    so do not do these things

cats are ok
    their poops are not safe
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• No it is not "bad". I have four cats and they all protect the baby. While I was pregnant my female cat would sleep on my big belly and purr to make the baby start kicking. I read that having cats/pets around a baby helps build up the immunity to allergies. I do not allow the cats in the babies room and I do not leave the cats alone with her.
    Cats can become very jealous over a baby. You must establish boundaries during the pregnancy. Start teaching the cats the babies room is for YOU and the BABY .. not the cats. They must stay out of the room under ALL conditions. Because I set very strict boundaries, my cats will not go in the room EVER and will only lay next to the baby when I am holding her. The cats love the baby and if the baby starts crying and I do not go get her right away, all four of them come running and meowing at me to go get her.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 1:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It is not safe for you to clean out the litter box, I had to get my brother and stepdad to clean it for me.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 1:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yes it is safe to have cats while pegnant. BUT there fecies ARE very bad for you so get someone else to change the litter. and as fo around babies i herd animals help bulid the amuine system.
    Justice09

Answer by Justice09 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Cats are fine to be around while you are pregnant. Most of them are fine around babies although you should use a reasonable degree of caution until you find out how a particular cat will react to babies. Mine is fine with them.

Most women who have cats have already been exposed to the toxoplasmosis bacteria and the feces aren't a danger if mom has antibodies for it. There is a simple blood test your provider can order to find out if the feces are a danger to you or not. I didn't have anyone else to change the cat box so I got the test and I had already been exposed and had the antibodies so the feces were no danger to me or my babies.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2009