Am I being stupid and giving my child a disadvantage?

My play group does Spanish story time and a Spanish immersion program so that the kids learn Spanish at an early age. I never go bc I don't want my son learning Spanish. I believe those with Spanish speaking children should be putting them in English immersion classes not the other way around.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes, you are being stupid
    Anonymous

• yes u been stupid
    Anonymous

• It is never stupid to learn multiple languages. It is stupid to deny your child any learning opportunities.
    Anonymous

• Yes you are. Studies show that bilingual people get the jobs over english only people. Your statement about spanish kids learning english shows that you have some negativity towards spanish speakers and that is a disadvantage to your kids too. We should be teaching our kids acceptance and tolerance for others, not the opposite.
    Anonymous

• No, you're not being stupid, no you're not leaving your child at a disadvantage. If you don't want your child learning Spanish, that is your choice - most children will be required, however, in school to take classes to learn a second language. It is hard to learn as we get older, it is easier to learn when we are younger. Are you going to to ruin their chances for a successful life? NO. Learning a second language is not a requirement to live life, but it is a recommendation for some employment opportunities. If you're ONLY concern is making sure your child gets ahead in the world, then you may want to reconsider your decision. If you're more concerned about your child being a loving, compassionate, successful INDIVIDUAL (defining success as an overall lifestyle - relationships, emotions, etc...), then you can make your choice accordingly, but learning a second language is not a pre-requisite for personal success.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Why would you deny your child a great opportunity to learn another language? Would you do the same if it was French or Italian that was being offered?
    Anonymous

• I totally agree with you, I don't want my children learning Spanish before they have mastered English! I feel if you want to live in the US, then you MUST learn to speak the language!!!
    Anonymous

• Yes, you are being stupid and selfish . . it's no wonder you went anon.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think a bit of your ignorance is showing. It has been proven that teaching a child multiple languages is extremely beneficial in a first step in improving their learning capabilities. I know that if it were a different language you would surely encourage it. You are choosing not to because you have a bias against a group of people....that is shameful.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you. But I also see the benefits of being bilingual. I don't know if I like the idea of the submersion type program but I will be exposing my child to spanish, french, or something. And since children learn the best, I think it's a good idea to do it at a young age. I do want my child to learn English first and no have to teach her english as a second language.
    Anonymous