Are local farm fresh eggs safe?

I live in the sticks, lots of locals have signs up for fresh eggs, how do I know they are safe to eat?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 1:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Take a look at their chickens. If the chickens are a droopy, sickly looking lot then I'd wonder as to the health benefits of the eggs. Chickens that are outdoors are healthier. The BEST eggs are ones that are just gathered. Maybe request that you'd like ones that are gathered while you wait, but you'll probably want to wipe them off when you get home just to get rid of the usual crud on the outside. Fresh eggs are SO much better than the pale, chemically washed eggs you'd find in a store. Brown or white eggs, shell color makes no difference as to the nutrional or safe value of the egg, but most small farms that sell eggs have hens that lay brown eggs....not a special chicken, just the breed.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• you never know. some may have diseases.
    Anonymous

• I have chickens and eat the eggs. Get a book and read. They are fine.
    Anonymous

• I'd check out their chickens as well. If the chickens are healthy, the eggs are too. We have our own backyard chickens, and the eggs are both yummier and better for you than eggs that are mass produced (I know there are no antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, other weird chemicals, etc in my chicken's feed or their eggs...)
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My parents have chickens, and their eggs are much better than store bought. Make sure the chickens themselves look healthy and you will be fine. Besides unlike mass produced eggs you can be sure there are no chemicals in your eggs.
    Fun way to see the difference. Buy 1 dozen local and 1 dozen store bought. Crack them open and put in white bowl. There is a visible difference in color and size.
    LadyLuck13

Answer by LadyLuck13 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2009