Why is my childs race of any consequence?

I went to register my girls for school today and on 3 different papers they asked me to list thier race. Why? I am white by the way I just don't get it. You can also go on our schools county web site and find the ratio of blacks to whites in each school. How is this relevent information? Is it a funding thing? Anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So that they can have statistics to present in case someone says their child was denied access because of their race, or that the school only accepts one race. It also ties in the the US Census, they send them that information.

Also later on the children can qualify for minority scholarships.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I kinda wonder about the samething how about if the kids are mixed what do you place. my kids are not mixed but its been a question I wondered
    Anonymous

• Because this is the new, improved, POST-racial society, so now they have to make sure they have everybody possible slotted neatly into little boxes and divided by race.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It has nothing to do with their race, the question is asked on everyones papers.. It's a percentage thing. They have to show what percentage of differnt races they have. Yeah! It's a government thing.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It factors into test scores, too...they'll compare test scores w/race.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 2:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• OP here ~ Ok..cherrie. That actually makes sense. BUT (and this isn't directed at you cheri, just liked your answer ;) if we are going to track our childrens race for whatever reason and its going to be something that NEEDS to be documented by the GOVERNMENT then why is it racist for someone to use the same qualifier when describing a person possabliy commiting a crime or anything else negative? If we are going to use race as a qualofier it seems it should go either way.....right?
    Anonymous

• It is used for statistical analysis. I always check the "other" box and write in "human". Or leave it blank.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Here's how it is where i live and i think i stupid. You have to put what race you are, because the schools have to have a certain number of kids from each race. I think this sucks. So of the kids cant even go to the school near there house, because there are to many of some race and have to take a bus to school and be ripped apart from there siblings and friends. This is unfair to everyone and many kids are now being home schooled.
    Anonymous