Friends buy toy for one child not the other

We were camping last week and friends who have a child my sons age came too, they bought a toy for my son, their son and their two nephews who were there as well. ( all on the same theme a lego kit thing) my daughter was there too and they didn't gether anything. What are your thoughts? Would you have said anything? Do you think this is ok? My daughter never said a word about it but I could tell it bothered her she is 8 son is 5.

mothermayiam

Asked by mothermayiam at 2:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would not have made a big deal as they probably did not do it on purpose.  I would have pulled my daughter aside and explained that it was no reflection on her and remind her that even though it doesn't feel good, there may be  times in the future that she is with friends that litle brother will miss out on something. 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 6:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• That was kind of low. I'm sure if I would have said anything or not, but I would've been hurt for m DD's sake.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• People mean well but are sometimes too rude to use a little common sense. I would have said thank you. It is nice that they bought your son a gift. Your daughter was probably fine with it after the initial shock.
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt have let my son accept it. When I was little people would do that to me. My Step Dads friends would buy things for my lil sis (his daughter) but not me. I was only 7 or 8. It caused a lot of resentment between me and her. Only because I was so young and didnt understand, but still. If one child doesnt get something neither should the other
    Anonymous

• they might not have thought about it but then again if u have more then i kid its best to just pick something up..i have 4 kids ( 2 bio's and 2 sd's ) and i made sure to let people know u cant buy for one and not the others so if u cant buy something for all please dont buy anything...thankfuly friends and family follow the rule... that and if they didnt i would be the one to deal with it and "fix" it. and its not fair to the kids or me. its all or nothing...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• See I agree with the last two, if you buy for one kid you should buy for the other. So why did I let him have it and not mention anything? What would I have said or should I have said? I really felt bad for DD she did act left out but I tried not to make it a big deal about it. I would never buy for one kid and not the other.
    Anonymous

• At first I thought "that isn't very fair", but then I got to thinking about it.....We are friends with a family and they have a daughter the same age as mine and a son the same age as mine (and they have another child too). My daughter really really likes their daughter and vice versa. Just tonight she gave her a stuffed animal that she picked out for her, but we didn't take toys for their other kids. It was something between the girls. Their daughter also gets little gifts for mine. So this may be the same case, it was something between the boys.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Agree with PP
    It was something they picked up for the boys to be helpful, by entertaining 5year old boys. They may not even have a clue what a 8 girl likes, if they all have boys. I am sure they didn't mean to be rude, prob. didn't notice it til too late, but than again, not everyone thinks like MOMs do.
    Anonymous