Should we, and how should we, get our baby to sleeep in her crib?

Our baby is 4 and a half months old. We do not believe in the "cry it out" method and we co-sleep with our baby. My husband and I were talking about getting her to sleep in her crib by the time she is six months old. I am really dreading this as I feel torn.... I do want her do sleep in her crib but I also am going to have a really hard time not having her snuggled next to me! I miss snuggling with my husband but sometimes I feel like I couldn't imagine our baby not in the bed. I won't let her cry herself to sleep. Any advise on what I should do?? I think this transition is going to be harder on me than it will on our baby!!

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 2:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never liked the cry it out method either, but when my little boy wasn't sleeping through the night - he was waking up me 8-10 times a night - I couldn't take it anymore. Nothing else was working. It only took 3 nights and broke my heart, but I couldn't do it anymore.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 2:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It is not humane to let your baby cry herself to sleep.

What has may work is to put the crib beside your bed with the side down. When she falls asleep you can slide her over to the crib.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I wish I had advice for you. I am in EXACTLY the same spot you are in, except my LO will be a year in a week! = O I LOVE having her next to me and I REFUSE to let her CIO. And doctors are NO help. I've asked mine for advise and even told her I am VERY against the CIO method and that is all she ever suggests. I'm starting to think I should try the good old hippie route and start seeing a witch doctor!! LOL
    I'm anxious to see some good answers.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It's not inhumane.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 2:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I never coslept with my baby, because I would miss the snuggling/cuddling with my dh that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing with my child in the bed. I think you really have to think about what is best for your child in the long run, not what is best for you or what you want. I don't like the term CIO, but I did let my children fuss for 5-10 mins to soothe themselves to sleep and it took very few days until they were sleeping on their own without crying. Yes, no matter how you do it, it probably will be harder on you than on her but just remember that you're trying to do what's best for her. Good luck.

Answer by missanc at 2:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• you can start by putting her crib right next to your bed.. even taking one rail off and securing the beds together. (They make straps for that so there's no gaps between the beds) Put her on 'her' bed, and you sleep on 'your' bed. That way she's still close to you and can find you if she needs some security, but it gets her used to sleeping on her own. After a week or 2 of doing that, you can start moving her further away.. across the room, and finally into her own room whenever your comfortable with that. It allows you to stage the process which will cause her less discomfort. Also, while I guess its 'technically' called CIO, you can let her fuss on her own for a few minutes at a time. This is how children learn to self soothe and not be so dependent on mommy or daddy for comfort. Try a soft blanket or lovie for her to hold too, you'd be surprised to find how comforting it is. Maybe sleep with it yourself for a couple nights
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• (con't)... first so that it smells like you. Hope this helps!!
    kristal2146

• The definition of inhumane is lacking in kindness or compassion. The compassionate thing to do when a baby is in distress is to sooth that baby and end the distress.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I appreciate all the advice.... i think it is better to not let them cry it out before six months....i do realize they have to learn to soothe themselves at some point.
    Babies are emotional creatures, not rational creatures therefore they don't understand why mommy isn't coming to comfort them when they need it.
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 8:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son sleeps in his crib, in my room b/c we have to share. no other choice lol i live with parents but he falls asleep great in my arms, quickly, and sometimes i will put him in his crib an dhe will wake other times he will not...when he does I have tried letting him cry but only last like 2 minutes. I feel bad at this age. What I try to do though is pat his butt without taking him out of the crib, give him a pacifier, although he doesnt always like them, and i put my head close by his and my other hand on his stomache, and this seems to soothe him, if he wakes after i stop doing this, i will do it again lightly and eventually he will go back to sleep. he can soothe himself when he wakes up in the middle of the night though. Maybe try that, soothing while hes in the crib.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2009