Did you know that Schools Districts pay more than $70,000.00 for each special education student?

$70,000.00 for each year of instruction.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• In my school district, each "regular ed' student is worth about $13,000 while special ed students are worth about $20,000. I have now idea where you get $70,000. Also, the number of kids that the money is based on is done on 1 specific day of the school year..commonly known as attendance day. The schools bribe kids to be there, because the more kids in attendance that day, the more money the schools get. So if there are 100 kids in attendance on attendance day, then that school gets $130,000 from the Feds. That is used to pay teachers, get books, pay utilities,etc. The schools give away things on attendance day to make sure the most amount of kids are at school that day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Where did you find that figure?
    Anonymous

• ...and?
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• A friend of mine just told me that her brother got her son in special education that cost about that. OP
    Anonymous

• Wow! I should take my kids out of private school... Apparently public schools spend WAY more on each kid... too bad you can't tell.
    Anonymous

• so? Believe me its needed.My son does really well with the extra attention.He needs it to function.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• And, OP, your silly point is what?
    Anonymous

• Well MY sons school sure as hell does not pay that much for him (yes, he is speical needs)..... that amount could fund EVERYONE in my sons school!
    And WHAT city is that figure based on???
    Anonymous

• Just cause one district supposedly pays that much does not mean ALL school districts do!
    And where is this supposed school district-- what city/state?
    Anonymous

• Every school district spends a different amount on different categories of students and those amounts can vary widely from state to state or even school district to school district. And I don't know what that "attendance day" thing tyfry is talking about is b/c we don't have that here.

And I wish my son's school spent that much on his special education services! Here the local school district spends $14,551 per student, special education or not. That number includes instructional expenditures, student & staff support, administration costs, operations, transportation costs and food service. If a student is sent to an out-of-district placement, then the district might spend a little more, but they share that cost with the state DOE, which usually picks up at least half of the tuition costs.
    Anonymous