My 10 mth old preemie intakes about 26 oz of formula daily, is that enough?

I am 5'0 110lbs. We've had test ran on her thyroid to make sure she has no thyroid issues. She is 10 months old and weighs 14 lbs. The pediatrician says she is probably genetically little because she is not having any developmental issues and she is meeting her growth markers, she is just way under the curve in weight. Right on in head size and length. She was six weeks premature and had no health issues besides catching every cold that walked into daycare.

clb1913

Asked by clb1913 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 10 months she should be eating 24 to 32 oz. of formula per day if she is eating solids, more formula if she is not eating solids. If she's eating solids, she should have 24-32 oz. of formula and 3 or 4 meals of solids. For example -- 32 oz of formula per day + breakfast 2-3 tbs of cereal or another grain and some fruit diced up finely, then lunch 2-3 tbs of cereal or another grain and some fruit or vege's diced up, and then dinner 2 tbs pureed veggies, 1 to 2 tbs pureed meat, 1 tbs finger foods like cereal a vege or fruit. That's an example of a diet for a day for a baby that is 8 to 11 months old out of Parenting magazine by a Dr. Behan. If you're doing something similar and she's not acting hungry, I would assume that she is just small figured. I never weighed much and I was well fed. :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 2:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• when i took my son to get his 2 month check up they gave me a booklet saying they should eat no more than 32oz a day. although at 10 months im assuming she gets solid food too. and she was preemie so she is going to be smaller than other babies her own age for a while up until about 2 is what i have read.
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would say yes. At 9 months the doc said my LO should have around 20 - 24 oz. a day. Mine wasn't preemie, but that's about what they should eat at about that age. Not only that, if LO is starting solids, than at least she is getting SOME nutrition from that. (they tell you starting solids is for practice and not to be relied on for nutrition, but they still get some) So, I would think you and LO are doing fine. IMO
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• At 10 months she should have as much as she is hungry for. You should still be feeding on demand and trying out table foods at meals now.

There is NO set amount she should or shouldn't be taking. She should take as much as she is going to take...as long as she is still growing and developing.
    Anonymous

• I"m roughly the same size you are, and my son was only 15.5 lbs at a year old. He's now 9 and he definitely has my body type - very different from his dad's, he's just always going to be a skinny kid and judging my family, a skinny person. As long as she seems happy and not hungry, she's getting enough. Let her be the guide on how much to eat.

Answer by missanc at 3:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• that's a fine amount for a child her age. YOu shouldn't worry unless she's refusing to take bottles, or drinks less than 18 oz in a day.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I am just slightly taller than you. My son was also a preemie at 7 weeks early. He is four and only 38 pounds but already 43 inches tall. I think its harder for preemies to gain weight. My son isn't super skinny but has always been thin and tall.
    Anonymous