What do you think about secular music?

If you're a christian do you stick mainly to gospel or contemporary christian or do you enjoy other types of music as well? Just curious!

jillisue808

Asked by jillisue808 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I LOVE Christian music, especially worship, because it doesn't just please my mind but it really speaks to my soul.

I do sometimes listen to secular music. I am pretty particular though. I absolutely abhor the "back that thing up" mentality that seems to dominate mainstream music. But I don't think that just because my ears hear a good song from someone like Jack Johnson that I am going to melt either, lol.

If I am in my car I will usually listen to my IPOD or Christian radio. I never listen to the secular stations because the songs usually frustrate me. The non-Christian artists on my IPOD are Coldplay, Jack Johnson, Morissey, The Smiths, and The Cure (hmm . . . maybe more, but I don't listen to them enough to remember). I don't feel bad about any of their songs (maybe some people would?)

But most of the time I would rather listen to Christian music.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I primarilly listen to Christian music, but I don't listen to any music very much, just in the car mostly. DH on the other hand has the most diverse musical taste I have ever known. He likes contemporary christian, som of the southern gosple, bluegrass, country, classic rock, and classical music, and he listens a lot.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I listen to all kinds of music, in fact, Christain music makes up a very small portion of the music I listen to. I hardly listen to it at all!
    The music I like the most includes: Broadway/musicals, country, oldies, rock, punk, 80's, big band - anything but rap and hip hop/pop, really.
    I do prefer lyrics that aren't really in your face, but genre doesn't matter all that much to me.
    In fact, my husband is in a punk band and a rock/metal band as well as doing christian stuff on his own on the side.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I listen to a wide variety of music from all over the world, in all different languages in all different genres.  I'm not very much into country although I LOVE blue grass.  My husband and I love to listen to Big Band, jazz and blues together.  I also don't like the music where people scream lol (I can't remember what it's called). 

On my iPod playlist right now is several acapella hymns, Jack Johnson, John Maher, Dave Matthew's Band, U2, Frank Sinatra, World Music (songs from Ireland), World Music (Cuban), World Music (New Zealand), World Music (African dance), Ray Charles and loads of others I can't recall off the top of my head lol.

I try to listen to things that will enrich my mind and broaden my horizons, not trash my thoughts :-)  I do love Christian music too and have quite the CD collection.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• OH! I have Frank Sinatra on my iPod too : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• The majority of the music I listen to is Christian Praise and Worship and Prophetic.
    There are very few secular songs I like but I prefer to listen to songs that rejuvanate my spirit and put me in a right place with God.
    I just finished listening to Jesus Culture's Newest cd called "Consumed" I like music from Misty Edwards, Kim Walker-Smith and many others from IHOP and Bethel church and then my very own church has Todd Benjamin Lout who has a cd out called "Understanding"

I know I mentioned it before but the kinds of sound you listen to makes a difference in how you will act, react and feel.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Paul taught us to seek after anything that virtuous, lovely, or of good report.

I enjoy lots of good (non-religious) music that falls under that category.
    Anonymous

• About 10 years ago I started listening to Christian Contemporary/Rock. I got so sick of the negative messages in secular music. I will listen to positive secular stuff though. Some secular groups I like are Coldplay, Daughtry, and U2.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 3:22 AM on Jul. 31, 2009