How big is a 6 week old's stomach?

My friend is giving her six week old baby four ounces of breastmilk via bottle. Isn't that too much for someone his age? How big is he stomach at this point?

LKRA

Asked by LKRA at 2:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It should read, How LITTLE is a 6 week old stomach! ;) If LO is eating it and not throwing it all up, than I'm sure their fine. Babies spit up, but throwing up is a lot different. Spit up is normal, especially if they are hard to burp (mine was at times). Throwing up is up chucking every thing in their stomach because of discomfort or too much. So if LO is not throwing up all the food at every feeding, I'm sure their fine.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• agreed with ppl...

i think at 6 weeks their stomach is about the size of 1.5 of their fists..maybe 2 fists...

my kids were bird eaters.. they ate every hour until about 6 weeks,, even on a bottle,, just 1 oz or so every hour or 2.. i would have loved to feed 4 oz and wait 3 hours!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• if he is not throwing up then he is fine
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• about this size if his fits (or maybe both fits). But if he's eating and not spitting up,it's good. You really have no idea how much they take when nursing, they eat until full. Same should be true of bottles.
    Anonymous

• Not much at all compared to what my kids ate! They were each taking 8oz every 2-3 hours at 6 weeks.

As others have said...if he's not spitting up more than about 1/2 an ounce, it's fine. It's not like you can force feed a baby anyway. It will either refuse or spit it back up.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• my niece is 2 weeks and eatting 3oz. So 6 weeks and 4oz is not alot.
    Anonymous

• That is WAY to much, for a 6 week old. In many cases a baby will take more from the bottle than needed for several reason:
    1) The breast-milk or formula comes much faster from the bottle than it does the breast. As a result the baby's body is not getting the message to stop eating at the appropriate time.

2) Baby is full but still needs to suck. At the breast, the babies suck will change so they are still getting the calming reaction (due to hormones released by sucking) but they are not getting milk. However, on a bottle their change in suck will not stop baby for receive breast milk or formula through a bottle.

3) Many parents (or care givers) will encourage baby to finish a bottle.

.5-1 oz on more than sufficient at this age. However, some children are different and the situation can not be fully assessed at this time. However based on my knowledge, of infant nutrition I would say this is far to much food.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• When my daughter was6 weeks old she was taking 5 oz every 3 hours. She's in the 5th percentile. So the above is not always true. When she was full, she'd stop sucking on the bottle. My friends 7 week old (premie) is takin 6 oz. It sounds like a lot, but he's not spitting up and growing based on averages and within the same percentiles. Every kid is different.
    Anonymous

• Theres pics at the bottom of THIS link
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

as far as BM amounts they re different than formula amounts you will hear lots of moms saying...like 5 oz and 8 oz etc..BF babies need 1-1.25 oz an hour or 24-30oz of BM daily. NO matter the age no matter the size. BM gets better with time and age of the baby.

Mom needs to make sure that baby eats every 2-3 hours because BM is digested very quickly and the body will push out milk that is left after the body has enough nutrients...in other words some of that milk isn't even absorbed because its not needed in such large amounts. ALSo slow flow nipples now matter the age.

AGAIN MAJORITY of the amounts you see above is about formula not breastmilk..the poster hillmom stated BM info and is correct per doctors, lactation consultants and la leche league
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• my daughter is 6 weeks old and she eats 6-8 oz every 2-3 hours and even then still seems hungry
    avigrl88

Answer by avigrl88 at 4:14 AM on Oct. 2, 2009