How can I stop the red rash on my sons face?

okay he has a red rash all around his mouth and cheeks.. and I dont know what it is... I have put vasaline on it cause i thought it was just skin rash that needed treatment.. now that he still has it its started to get redder everyday.. I thought it was because of his pacifers but i changed those and he still had it before and now after.. so I have no idea what it is.. it doesnt itch him or anything its just red and broke out.. but he about to turn two. . so I really need help on trying to find out what it could be,.

tylalee078

Asked by tylalee078 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd call your doctor's office and see what they recommend.
    Anonymous

• I would take him to his ped. BUT, I use this stuff for my DD. I cloth diaper AND she has eczema and it works wonders for it all! I have also used it on her face for rashes like you described from passi or teething.
    http://www.grandmaels.com/
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i have heard of food allergies causing rashes on the face - did you recently start a different/new food?, but if it continues I would take him to the dr

Answer by missanc at 3:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My first thought was teething/paci rash. It's where the drool from teething sits on his face under the pacifier and causes it to be irrated and red. My doctor recommened putting aquaphor on it frequently to protect the skin from the drool (be sure to dry the area completely before applying). hydorcortizone creams work well too, but i'd ask the doc before putting it that close to his mouth. it might be a good time to take a break from the pacifiers if he's taking them all day. Limit to naps/bed time only and see if that helps clear it up some. If it does, you know it's teething/pacifier rash.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like eczema to me. MANY times, eczema is caused by food allergies. You can eat food for years before developing an allergy, too. I would call the pedi. It obviously isn't a horrible allergy, so there is no RUSH to get him in, but if you wait too long and continue with the food he is allergic to, the reaction can get worse over time. Good luck trying to figure it out!~
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• you could try something called cetaphil, my son's face breaks out and i put the on it and it normally goes away within a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Jul. 31, 2009