how much is too much??

i feel like im disciplining my son too much. it seems like everything he does i have to tell him NO.. which seems to be happening for most of the day. im starting to think that im being too harsh! are there things i should just let go or should i keep doing what im doing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you should pick your battles, stop with no's, use yes words instead (ie when he pulls the dogs tail, don't tell him "no", tell him "pet the dog like this"), catch him being good so you can praise him

Answer by missanc at 2:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• no, they are at the age where NO is the only word we and they know.. i say no worries..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 3:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• He is 2? That seems to be how it is at that age, at least for me too. Have you tried to not make a huge deal out of the things that are non-threatening or more just your preference? Like My son loves to climb on the armrests of the couch. IT DRIVES ME NUTS! I used to get upset and tell him no and he would challenge me and do it more etc....I finally gave up and now he doesn't do it. Once he saw that it didn't bother me, he stopped. I did use distraction as a method of letting him know that I didn't like it.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with telling your child no. You don't want him to grow up into an undisciplined litte brat, do you?
    My son is 15 months old and he's beginning to learn his limits. Sometimes, he'll push the envelope, but I can just look at him and say, "Aeryn . . . " and he stops. He's a great kid.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 3:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I agree with the other posts. I am feeling kind of the same right now. My LO has been walking for about two months now and so boundaries are needing to be set since she is into every thing. I have to tell her "don't touch" a lot! Enough to where she can sort of say it! lol But like PP said, she's getting to the point where I can look at her and say, HEY and she'll finish, "don't touch!" So she's learning and that makes me feel not SO bad! ;) lol Hang in there. It will all pay off! :)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 3:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I know how you feel. It seems like everyday we're telling Tiphani no and stop but we're changing how we say things. For example, in stand of saying " NO, don't pull the dog's tail" we say "The doggie likes it better if you pat his head."

We also sat her down and example to her that when we go out she has to be a big girl and usually we get her a treat or tell her how proud we are that she was good.

We've been doing this for 2 months and it's working. Her real test was when we want out of town. I don't think we had to tell her no at anytime. Even when we got home she's been really good.

I think kids reaction better to positive reinforcement in stand of negative.
    TiphaniMommy

Answer by TiphaniMommy at 6:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I agree with TiphaniMommy. I do the same thing trying to redirect or refocus rather than endlessly saying No. I get the same point across but it somehow feels less negative. I also have learned to choose my battles. He loves to test so I usually just glare at him and call his name as he's heading off to no good. That often will stop him.. It also gives him a chance to realize it's wrong and stop on his own. THen I have something to praise him for.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009