what to do w/ canned spinach?

DD likes spinach. She's been eating stuff with it for a good while now. Pre baby, I couldn't stand to look at the stuff or smell it. But I can more than tolerate it now. I even let her feed it to me. I've been buying her foods with spinach already cooked into them. I want to make them on my own. Any suggestions and instructions? She likes those gerber graduate spinach & cheese raviolis. I'm assuming I have to puree the spinach for that.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 3:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I would not use the canned stuff. I would use frozen or fresh. You can steam it, saute it, mix it in mac and cheese, put it on pizza. The canned stuff is nasty soggy. lol! My fave is to put the fresh stuff in a pan with a little olive oil salt and pepper and move it around until it's all 'wilted' looking.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You can do SOOO much with spinach. Add it to muffins, eggs, pancakes, spagehtti, inside hamburgers, meatloaf. Thelist oges on and on
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 3:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You can make a quiche with it. Canned spinach does pretty good in a quiche. There are tons of recipes for it online, and its really healthy!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I have to agree with going with fresh or frozen. Anyhow, you could do tons of stuff with it. You could make a spinach and cheese quiche, could cook it into a zucchini bread, get real adventurous and make homemade pasta with pureed spinach mixed into the dough (delicious), spinach and cheese frittatas or omelettes, etc. Maybe www.wholesometoddlerfood.com has some good recipes.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 4:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• quiche, lasagna, etc. i love adding it to spaghetti sauce. the kids don't even realize it.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 4:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Saute a little olive oil and butter in a frying pan with a little chopped garlic. Add cubed potatoes and cook until potatoes are done. My aunt chops the spinach fine and combine with cooked rice, browned ground beef, parmesan cheese and she bakes it until heated through. Add to mac and cheese, buttered noodles, spaghetti. I put finely chopped spinach in meatballs and burgers or meatloaf.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I use the frozen chopped spinach a lot! I throw a handful in sauces, soups, etc.

Emerald Noodles
    1 pkg. any kind of linguini (i use whole grain) cooked and drained (add a bit of sesame oil to keep from sticking)
    sauce:
    1/2-3/4 cup nut butter (you can use sunflower seed butter if you have allergy concerns
    1 bunch cilantro
    2-3 (to taste really) cloves garlic minced
    1 bunch or less green onions
    1 tsp fresh grated ginger
    2-3 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
    red pepper flakes (for spicy) (I use Asian chili paste)
    soy sauce or tamari or braggs to taste
    1 cup frozen spinach
    blend all together in food processor, add to noodles stir in peas, broccoli, or any veg you want (if you have picky eaters, blend them into the sauce...kids tend to like the greenness of it)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009