How do i get my child to quit drawing on the walls?

We live in an apartment and my daughter is constantly drawing on the walls. She has been punished for this many times. Ive tried to buy her coloring books with characters she is interested in with hopes that she will want to color there instead of on the walls. Nothing is working and she is starting to teach my youngest that this is ok. I will put the crayons up so she cant reach them but she always finds a way to get to them.

middlemix

Asked by middlemix at 3:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Throw out the markers and crayons and get her color wonders
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Throw them away. Get some Crayola Colo Wonders markers and paper. Don't get the paint, its like playing with vaseline.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Wow. I would either put the crayons/markers away where she absolutely could not get them, or get rid of them all together. I have to say, whatever punishment you're using in not effective. This would be a serious offense to me and she would be in BIG trouble.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 3:04 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Color Wonder all the way!!
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 3:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My DD went through a spell of this. I made her scrub the walls and also took away her drawing materials for a period of time. If it was constant and she got into the materials when I had them put up, I would throw out all her crayons, markers, etc in front of her and tell her she can't have any more until she is (whatever age at her next birthday) and then she can try again. If she does it again, throw those away too.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I had this problem with my youngest. I just tossed all markers and crayons until she was 3. She would even get my lipstick and draw on the walls andthat won't come off. Color wonders is a great option but my dd didn't like them because it WOULDN'T color on the walls. LOL
    Anonymous

• riotgrri...absolutely! My kids never drew on the walls, but once. They got the crayons taken away for a week and had to scrub the wall (which was very effective, they complained the whole time, missed play time outside). I babysit for kids also. One that i did always colored on the walls. He did it at home, so he thought it funny at my house. He didn't like missing out on our art that week, and he hated scrubbing the wall. He still did it at his house, but never at mine again!
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't give her anything (even some Crayola wonder thing), or she'll think it's okay to color on the walls. Throw the crayons/markers away untill she is older.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• AWWW there are other things that can be done that don't require throwing away her crayons and markers, I have gotten very creative when it comes to this, and have had my fair share of drawing on the walls, and not just by my kids :). So here are a few that helped with all 7 of mine.

1. Give her a wall that is just for drawing on, and paint as needed....not as learning friendly but my oldest loved it and wasn't any harder then cleaning the walls.
    2. Get a large chaulk board/white board and place it on a wall, and let her play teacher.
    3. An easel like painters use, sorry can not figure out how to spell it.
    4. For those that don't rent......chaulk board paint, that stuff is tons of fun.

My oldest DD was the worst, so I had to be creative, and she still is, if she has a pen or marker in her hand..she can't resist and she is 17 now.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• How about only letting her color while you are watching her specifically? That way if she starts to color anywhere but her paper you can discipline her immediately by taking away her crayons. She will learn that playtime is over immediately if she starts misbehaving.
    Anonymous